Saturday, October 30, 2010

Homeschool Highlights – October Review (FAIL!) and Other Things

After being on my trip, I found it hard to get back into our routine. Also, we had our Freedom Van, so we weren’t limited to just our house. Thankfully, this week was a review because I wasn’t disciplined. We did school every day, but nothing really blog-worthy.

It’s is actually really good when something like this happens to me. I’m really structured, so it’s healthy for me to veer from my schedule once in a while. I feel like Nicholas is learning, so having an off week isn’t hurting us.

We actually had a lot of “real life” school this week since we had the Freedom Van. Besides, the eye doctor, we went to the grocery store, playland, church office, Bible study, lunch, the store, and to get Nicholas’ haircut. We haven’t been out this much in a long time.

Nicholas and I had a discussion about “stranger danger” as he continues to talk to everyone in every store. Like I said in my previous post, I don’t mind the friendliness. I just want to make sure that he doesn’t walk off with the stranger offering him candy or a friendly smile.

Nicholas is definitely trying to explore his independence and make sure his opinions are known. He also is picking up new words and phrases. Some are not so pretty. In fact, I’m trying to be more conscious with the words coming out of my own mouth. Monday, we were driving and he was talking about living with my parents (he had just spent the night there while I was on my trip). I told him that he could visit, but he lives we me and his daddy. He argued with me a bit. Finally, he exclaimed, “Stupid Mommy!”

I was a little shocked. “What did you say?” I asked.

“Stu-pid!”

We discussed how that wasn’t nice to say and I did not want to hear it out of his mouth again. While I continued to drive, I wondered where he learned that word. Well, a few days later I was driving my mom’s van when it stalled. “Stupid Van!” I mumbled. I guess I have my answer.


On Thursday we were at the store killing some time before Nicholas’ haircut. His cousin’s birthday party is in a little over a week, so I asked him what we should get Carter. He answered, “I don’t care.” Again, I was a little surprised by his snarky answer. I decided not to ask him anymore. Then, I accidentally said to myself out loud, “What should we get Carter?”

Nicholas looked at me and said, “Say, ‘What do you think, Nicholas?’”

“What do you think, Nicholas?” I obliged.

“I don’t care!”

How did I fall into that trap? Even though it can be frustrating and mentally draining to be with a three-year-old all day, I really do enjoy it. I get some good laughs. We have some good conversations. And, I know he’s just testing his boundaries and new-found vocabulary. My conference really reassured me that motherhood is a high-calling. It isn’t easy all the time, but so worth it.

No comments: