Friday, October 29, 2010

What do you see?

Giggles. Piggyback rides. Hugs. Smiles. These words could describe so many things. But, you probably wouldn’t have guessed that I am describing Nicholas’ very first eye doctor appointment. I had prepped him about this appointment. He knew that our doctor was nice and that there wasn’t anything to be afraid about. Nicholas soon found that going to the eye doctor’s office can be fun.

He got to draw pictures, wear funny glasses, look at silly pictures, and check out the doctor’s eyes. I knew that Nicholas would like our eye doctor, but I really was surprised by how much. Nicholas did very well for a three-year-old. He cooperated for the most part. But as a child his age does, he also liked to be a little ornery. After I told the assistant that Nicholas knows all of his letters, he chose to act like he knew none. She changed the letters to pictures. Nicholas answered correctly, until he felt like it would be more fun to answer wrong on purpose.  When she was all done, the letters reappeared on the screen.  Guess who read every one with no problem?  At least, she could see I wasn't a liar.

Nicholas listened to the eye doctor pretty well until he had enough. Then he covered his eyes, or squinted them tightly. Thankfully, our doctor is a father and was very patient. He actually was enjoying Nicholas. He didn’t mind his silliness. He made the appointment fun. The same boy that told me beforehand, “I don’t want to like Dr. ______” was also the one yelling “I love you” down the hallway as the eye doctor headed to his next patient.

I love the fact that Nicholas is so friendly. I hope that he is always personable and fun-loving. However, I also feel like some of this behavior has to do with his life before us. Friendliness and a smile get you what you want. He is not always able to discern who to hug. Now, I will say this: our eye doctor is great! We all love going to him, so I can see why Nicholas liked him too. But, I still wonder, “Is he being this friendly because that is his nature, or because of his life at the baby home?” Then again, the dentist didn’t even get a high-five, so it may just be the doctor! 

1 comment:

rachel@thecupcakesprinklesinlife said...

How sweet!!

Layla is very similar to Nicholas in that she is super friendly and affectionate to everyone.

Yay! I love all of those "Firsts"!!!