Saturday, October 9, 2010

Homeschool Highlights – Cat Week

This past week I chose to make cats our theme. Since we have two here at our house I thought it would be fun for Nicholas to learn more about them. Also, I was hoping that maybe he would learn to treat them nicer. Well, that part didn’t happen. However, we did enjoy all of our books from this week.

We read:

The Cat in the Hat    The Cat in the Hat Comes Back

















Mama Cat Has Three Kittens    
















 If You Give a Cat a Cupcake
















We also picked out a non-fiction book about caring for your cat. We talked about the basics. Nicholas keeps telling me he wants to clean out the litter box when he is bigger. Should I get it in writing?


We also observed what the cats did all day. Nicholas kept yelling at Gabby to look at the camera.








We made our own cat book that I found on this great website. It just used basic phrases such as “The cat sat on the mat”. So, we were able to talk about rhyming as well.




We did some great cat worksheets that I found online. He had to count the number of eyes, ears, legs, and tails of each cat. The other sheet had him drawing the correct number of whiskers on each cat.








My grandma had given us some ready-made cookie dough, so we decided to bake cookies this week. I was going to make cupcakes to go with If You Give a Cat a Cupcake, but we decided to try and make our cookies look like cats instead. We tried to put ears on all of them.





Unfortunately, most of them lost their ears once they were baked. Nicholas did have fun frosting them and putting on the sprinkles. One of the cookies got the majority of the sprinkles.













Of course, the best part was eating them.






We also worked on E and F sounds this week in our workbooks.








While writing E and F wasn’t too hard for him, after trying one or two, he opted to trace his hand instead.






Finally, we did a little cutting practice. You wouldn’t know from this picture that it was actually a warm October day. My grandma bought him some new pajamas. I had him try them on to see if they fit and he didn’t want to take them off. So, I think it is safe to say that he likes them!





Well, we already started our newest theme today. I may do a preview in my next post, but we’ll see.

No comments: