Sunday, October 17, 2010

Homeschool Highlights – Pumpkin Week

As you know, we started our pumpkin week early at the farm. We’re not going to carve our pumpkins for another week or so though, so they don’t rot too soon.

We also read our pumpkin books.  Every time I go to the library, I leave very frustrated though.  I come with my list and try to get a couple weeks’ worth of books at a time. Do you know what I find each time? Very few of the books that I am looking for, but tons of books from all the themes we’ve already done! It drives me crazy!

So, we stuck to three books this week:

The Pumpkin Parable by Liz Curtis Higgs

Pumpkin Day! By Nancy Elizabeth Wallace

Pumpkin Pumpkin by Jeanne Titherington


I found a lot of pumpkin activities online. I found the life cycle of a pumpkin worksheet. We had to cut out all the stages from seed to pumpkin, and put them in order. All of the books we read this week talked about this, so it wasn’t really that hard. He really liked using the glue stick!









We also worked on patterns. He had to figure out which picture came next in the pattern. He seemed to get the concept fairly easily. He then proceeded to scribble all over it when we were done with it though.





We also glued on orange squares to a pumpkin sheet. I think he liked doing this better than just coloring it orange. But, he did color the stump brown.








We worked on G and H sounds this week, as well as trying to write them. He was able to write both, but H was definitely much easier. I know a lot of handwriting curriculums recommend that you teach the easy-to-write letters first. I really agree with this philosophy. Since we’re not taking it seriously, I’m going to continue to go in order. Next year, we’ll probably use a curriculum though.









For math we talked about the numbers 7-10. He is doing a lot better at counting each object. We also did another color-by-number picture. He is trying so hard to stay in the lines. He was little overwhelmed by the amount of the 8s (all of the blue in the picture), but he finished it without any help.







I thought about making something to eat with pumpkin all week, but really wasn't in a baking mood.  I was happy to hear that we would be having pumpkin pie at my parents' house last night.  So, it wrapped up pumpkin week nicely.

This week will be shortened because of my conference.  I'm looking forward to my time away.  But, I'm really going to miss my little student (and Evan too).

No comments: