Nicholas soon figured it out as people walked around with bunny ears on their heads. Then he saw the people laying thousands of plastic Easter eggs all over the grass. We found a spot that wasn’t too crowded – yet. We had a twenty five minute wait until it started, but Nicholas showed amazing patience. As the start time grew closer, so did the crowds.
| Waiting before the crowds came |
| Just a little bit of our competition |
When they yelled “go”, Nicholas set out at a leisurely pace. He’s not super-aggressive, so I had to encourage him a little. By the time the grass was cleared of the eggs, Nicholas had a decent amount of plastic eggs in his bag. So, we walked to the food court to see what was inside.
| Some of the loot and some candy in his mouth |
| His entry in the coloring contest |
Evan and I were pretty disappointed because the majority of the eggs had cheap prizes in them. There were some with candy, but nothing we (Nicholas included) really wanted. Nicholas had fun though, so that’s all that mattered. We don’t know if we’ll go back to this particular egg hunt next year though.
We have other Easter activities that we are doing this year as well. For school, Nicholas is coloring a few pages a week in a coloring book that tells the Easter story about Jesus’ death and resurrection. We’re doing a little bit at a time since it is not always easy for a preschooler to understand. This coming weekend we will be baking resurrection rolls. You can find the recipe here. It is another way to explain Easter to younger children.
Here is a couple more resources you can use:
I think I explained this last year, but we do color Easter eggs and have Easter baskets. I don’t want that to be the central focus though, so I try to have a healthy balance. So, I am making a conscious effort to explain to Nicholas why we celebrate Easter. He doesn’t fully understand it now, but I’m planting a seed.
Finally, while I’m on the topic of Easter, consider filling your Easter basket with an Ordinary Hero T-shirt today. Click on the link and please select my name in the drop-down box at check out so we receive credit. Shameless plug, I know. But, it not only helps us with our adoption, but it supports a great organization as well.

No comments:
Post a Comment