Last month I mentioned how Nicholas had completed his first year of preschool. Now here I am mentioning summer school? Am I some kind of taskmaster? I mean, the kid is only 3. Well, during the summer I thought that Nicholas and I could do some fun activities that would get him ready for the coming school year. Nothing too stressful for either of us.
First, I have him coloring a picture of a different number each week. Then he does a worksheet where he has to count the groups of objects and circle the group that has the number of that particular week. When he completes it he gets a sticker.
We spend a couple of days a week on cutting practice. He is learning how to use the scissors to follow the lines. The book that I am using gets progressively harder each time. He loves doing this activity, so I am also teaching him about rationing so we don’t complete the book in a day or two.
I also have a tracing book, which gives him a chance to hold a pencil, make different types of lines, and follow the directions. I actually got a “Yay! Yippee!” when I pulled the book out today, which shows that he really doesn’t think of this as work, but fun.
Finally, we have a Bible verse a week. Usually, I start out with him repeating after me one or two words. Today I realized that when broken up like that some of the words take on a different meaning. We are working on 1 John 3:18 this week. It says, “Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue, but with actions and in truth.” Every time I say “but with” he points to his bottom and giggles. He’ll also stick out his tongue when we get to that part in the verse. I make sure to explain what each verse means and then I’ll ask him about it throughout the week. Not only does he hide God’s word in his heart, but I think it helps him with his vocabulary and speech.
I really enjoy watching his progress as we do school together. I love to see when he accomplishes something that has been a challenge for him. I also love it when he grasps concepts quickly. It is a joy for me to homeschool him.
Finally, in post placement report news . . . Still not here. We still can’t get a hold of our home study agency. I’m still frustrated. And, I want to know why it has taken over four days for a document to get from one part of the state to another via the mail. We’ll see what happens tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment