Friday, June 18, 2010

Family Day

On June 18, 2009, a judge issued a decree declaring us to be Nicholas’ parents. We would have to endure the 10-day waiting period before he could leave the baby home, but this is the date on the adoption certificate. June 18th is also the date that our post-placement report is due in Tomsk (It should be there!). There are many names that adoptive parents call this anniversary. A popular one is “Gotcha Day”. I don’t like the sound of that, so we’re calling it “Family Day”.

Standing outside the courthouse on June 18th, 2009

We really don’t have a lot of plans to celebrate it this year. Evan will work too late to go out to eat as a family. Also, Nicholas doesn’t really understand it yet. Some people buy enough souvenirs in the child’s birth country to give him/her a gift until he/she is 18. We didn’t do it that way. We just bought him a couple of things that he already has in his possession. To be honest, by the end of our 3rd trip, we weren’t really thinking about souvenirs. We just wanted to get home.

Today is a day for Evan and I to reflect on the day we became a family. I spent some time last night reading my blog entries from last year. There were some details that I had forgotten, but it did bring back a lot of old feelings. In fact, I kept reading my blog and stopped short of a few months ago. This blog may not have a huge readership, but it is a great memory book for us and someday for Nicholas.

This last year has been hard, but wonderful at the same time. He has definitely grown and changed in so many ways (so have I). I looked back and saw some of the early challenges we faced. I am happy to say that these are not issues for us anymore. I also looked back on a lot of the good times, the cute things he said, and how easily he has loved us. A lot of times people say that the adopted child is so lucky, but he has really blessed our lives by coming into our family. He is so special to us.

We love you, Nicholas. We thank God for making you a part of our family!






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on this milestone! Didn't realize we shared so many of Nicholas's big days. June 18th is Will's birthday. And you already know about the March 9th day.... hope you do something fun to celebrate!

Anonymous said...

Happy "Family Day" !!!
Nicole

Kristy K said...

We're so happy you're here Nicholas!!!! What a blessing you've are to all of us!

Melissa said...

Congrats to all of you! Such a special day to celebrate. :) Your family (and your blog) is a huge blessing to us.