Saturday, April 5, 2008

Catching Up On Sleep

I am starting to get my rest again. Things are really falling into place. With as little notice as we have had, I didn't think we would get it all done. I would say that we are halfway there. We could be completely ready by the end of this week. We are still waiting on our Visas, FBI Records, and the results of our blood work. Also, Evan's employment letter was returned yesterday and it was NOT apostilled by the State of Georgia. It seems that the notary at his company did not sign her name the way she is commissioned. Note to anyone interested in adopting: Every state has a database of their notaries online. Make sure they notarize it exactly as commissioned and also have them check their county. For instance, I may live in Medina County right now, but my notary still has a Cuyahoga County commission (I haven't changed it yet - Oops!).

The rest of the paperwork is all local, so it will be easy to get done. We will have to hand-carry it to Russia, since there is so little time left. I am really not too worried anymore. I guess one thing I will have learned by the time this is over is to not get overly anxious about anything. It all seems to work out in the end.

We haven't found out too much about our trip. We do know that Tomsk is in the 30's and 40's with possible snow. Moscow tends to be closer to our weather here in Ohio. We do have breakfast included in our hotel charge. For those of you who do not know, I love continental breakfasts! There is something so nice about someone else sitting out bagels and boxes of cereal for you. I know it is kind of strange. However, Russia's idea of breakfast may not be quite what we are use to eating. For two non-adventurous eaters, such as Evan and myself, we will either broaden our horizons or come back much skinnier.

Tomorrow, if all goes as planned, we will be registering at Babies R Us. My baby shower will be at the end of May. Usually it takes 6 weeks-3 months before you are asked back on Trip #2. So, my shower is around the 4-5 week mark. So, we're praying we can get it in before we leave again for Russia.

I want to close by saying just how great God is to give us this opportunity. Less than a year and a half ago, God began to open up my heart to adoption. Then about 10 months ago, I felt led to Russia. I have been so fearful at times. And, here we were called to do adopt. We answered. Now, our adoption has happened in record time. I have been forced to stop looking at my own fears and inadequacies and become more concerned with a child in Russia. I would have to say that this is one of the greatest experiences I have ever had.

I look back on all the years we had hoped to become pregnant and now I am glad that this is the path chosen for us. Biology definitely has nothing to do with the amount of love you can have for a child. With as much as we love Nicholas now, having never met him, I can't imagine how much our love will grow in two weeks. So, all I can say is don't plan your life, like I always have. God's plan really is wonderful.

Kristin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Living in this area of the world (Ukraine/Russia) for three years now, I can tell you that their concept of breakfast tends to be pretty different. They tend to eat food that we consider dinner food for breakfast. It's not bad. Just takes some getting used to.