Friday, September 5, 2014

Countdown to CC

We just finished our third week of school already!  We start CC on Monday, so we’ll pretty much be doing our full curriculum starting then.  I had a tutor planning meeting yesterday, so I don’t know if I feel better prepared or more nervous.  I practiced the first day in front of my family and they said I did a good job (I hope they’re being honest).

This week I focused on the letter C with Daniel.  This is more about making him feel like a part of our school day than expecting him to learn his letters.  That’s just a bonus. 

He started the week by decorating his C with cars.



Pants are optional




He had a piece of Nana’s leftover birthday cake (I forgot to take any pictures from her party).






He colored a cat.







Then, he helped me glue a cat from several different pieces of paper.



He drew circles around the cat all on his own.




Finally, we glued a caterpillar.  It had 10 circles for each body part, so we counted to ten.


Look how nicely he laid his crayons down.



Daniel continues to enjoy working on his different activities.  His talking skills are also improving.  Nicholas has been getting upset because he thinks Daniel is copying him.  I tried to explain that Daniel is just trying to say new words.  He has a tendency to repeat a lot of things we say right now, even when we think he’s not listening. 


Nicholas is doing well in school too.  It is funny how his favorite subject this year was his least favorite last year – grammar.  I’m not sure if that will change as it becomes more difficult, but so far it has made my life easier. 

Nicholas made an ocean box for science to display his water animals.


Starting next week, he will be given a folder during Daniel’s nap time that has some independent work to do.  He will be tracing and labeling the United States.  He will be working on a States and Capitals book.  He will work on some extra math, as they learn to skip count (or multiply for the older kids) all the way through 15 x 15 at CC.  He will practice the timeline that they work on at CC all year.  He will also finish up any work we didn't get to do that morning. 

Nicholas actually is looking forward to this independent time – for the most part.  He thinks of himself as a lot older than he is, so this makes him feel like I’m am treating him older.  In reality, this is preparing him for a time in his school career where he will have more ownership of what he is learning.


I’m spending a lot of this weekend making last minute preparations for CC.  I have a lot to bring with me each week, so I’m thankful for 2 (and one smaller helper) strong guys to help me carry everything.  I can’t wait to share about our first day with you.











Daniel’s materials were found from various websites, such as:


No comments: