Wednesday, September 10, 2014

I Survived!

I made it through my first day as a tutor for Classical Conversations.  We arrived about 45 minutes before it started to set up.  I had a picture of how things would look in my head, but I had to improvise a little when we got there.  Then, I organized all my materials by each time frame (2 ½ hours total). 

I started out a little nervous, but once I just focused on introducing the material and not my insecurities, everything got a lot easier.  The kids were engaged and most were participating.  I took note of what was working and what wasn't.  I have two girls and three boys, which seems to balance the energy level pretty well.

Having Evan be my helper also worked out well.  He helped me set up and clean up.  He turned on the music when I needed to play a song and helped the kids out when they needed it.  We don’t always have everyone’s parent in the class with them at all times, so he always jumps in to help where needed.

By the time we got to lunch and recess, I was beat.  I did get a comment from one of the moms that her daughter had a great time.  Nicholas also told me that I was a great tutor.  I’m trying not to put too much pressure on myself for the coming weeks though.

Usually, I would take a picture of Nicholas on the first day, but I was a little preoccupied.  Evan did take out my camera during class and got a few action shots of me teaching.


Let's get started.

Learning our history sentence with motions.


I made them exercise to their skip counting.


In true Kristin fashion, I walked in the door from CC, grabbed my folder for next week and began jotting down some notes.  I haven’t spent too much time on it – yet.  But, I've been preoccupied.  See, I survived my first day of CC, but I didn't know that I had something bigger to survive that night.

Daniel was fine all day, even when we put him to bed.  Then about two hours later I heard him talking a lot, so I went to see if he was awake or just talking in his sleep.  What I found was that he was really warm.  Out of nowhere he had a fever!

So, we took him into our room in case he woke up a lot during the night.  Well, we didn't need to worry about frequent wake-ups because for five hours, Daniel and I really didn't sleep.  He talked a lot!  I wasn't sure if he was totally with it, but we were able to have conversations.  I ended up taking us downstairs so Evan could get some rest.

Finally, a little after 2:00 he fell asleep.  I also fell asleep for about an hour!  Then, I took him upstairs right before Evan’s alarm went off, so Daniel could stay in our bed until he woke up (I didn't want to disturb Nicholas). 

So, I had to spend all of Tuesday functioning on one hour’s sleep.  Daniel did take a three hour nap.  During that time, I tried to give Nicholas plenty to do, so I could also nap, but my little chatterbox wouldn't allow for any rest. 

I did fall asleep by 8:30 last night, so I’m doing a lot better.  And, Daniel?  Well, he only had a fever for like 5-7 hours.  Then, he was absolutely fine.  Cranky, but fine.  That boy has been picking up a virus every other week lately.  I guess my goal is to get him some probiotics and boost his immunity before winter.


So, I did survive the first day of CC and I did survive on one hour's sleep.   Now, onto more planning for CC and maybe a little more rest.

No comments: