Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Gearing Up


Well, Nicholas officially moved up to his new class at church on Sunday. It hit me a little. Since I homeschool him, this is the equivalent of him going to preschool for me. It is that same feeling that he is growing up so fast. This class has more sitting at tables and no snack. When I picked him up he was super excited and said that he loved the class. Granted, they had goodie bags for the first day, but he has a great teacher so I'm sure every week will be great.

Evan and I were laminating papers Sunday night to get ready for school next week. Evan has agreed to take on the All About Town activities for this month. And, I am ready for my subjects too. I’ll tell you more about it next week, but Nicholas is not going to have a typical first day of school. It’s actually going to be a little crazy.

Today I was reading through his All About Spelling book and decided to test him on which phonograms he knew. It was kind of like the testing Kindergarteners have to do before they start school – just to see what they know. He knew a sound for every letter, but some have multiple sounds. Since it has been awhile since I learned to read, I actually forgot how many sounds some of the letters can make. So, next week we’ll review the ones that he hasn’t mastered yet.


Having fun with phonograms


Coloring the letters he's mastered


Ready for next week (There are more colored in, but he chose to use peach on the bottom rows)
 
A lot of people have asked me if Nicholas is going to preschool this year.  I'm sure I'll get questions (and maybe looks) from here on out.  I just don't want to feel like I have to defend our decision all the time.  We're excited to homeschool and Nicholas is doing well in this setting.  One week and counting!

No comments: