Nicholas and I had a really great day yesterday. It was one of those days where there were no issues. Everything had been positive. It was so uplifting and encouraging.
Yesterday morning we had to go to my doctor’s office for an appointment (It was nothing serious). Nicholas quickly found the toys in the waiting room and was soon joined by another little boy. Our doctor’s office had moved to a new office since I had been there and they now had a new computer system. I was updating my records while I heard Nicholas talking to the boy and his mom. Nicholas was telling them his church had the same toy. His next comment made me chuckle – in a good way. He asked them if they wanted to come to our church some time. I love his boldness. I hope he never loses it. The other little boy’s mother did tell me how polite Nicholas was when he was playing with her son. That always warms my heart to hear those things.
When we finally got to the exam room, Nicholas decided that he was going to answer all of the nurse practitioner’s questions for me. I told him that he could answer all the questions when it was his turn at his own doctor’s office. I have my annual physical next month and he is not invited to that appointment.
Nicholas and I had to head to the store after my appointment. He was so helpful putting things in the basket that we needed. He even accepted “no” when I told him that we couldn’t go to the toy department today.
The rest of the day was low-key as well. I was hoping we would continue with that wonderfulness today. However, after Nicholas was up for about an hour, things went south. We had a lesson in handling anger when you don’t like what is asked of you. I was actually proud of myself for making the situation into a teachable moment. Too bad I didn’t learn the lesson for myself later that afternoon. I think Nicholas and I were both ready for a do-over. We both did let the other one know how much we love each other and how sorry we were for our words and actions.
So, today has been a lesson in forgiveness both of us. Thankfully, like God’s mercies are new every morning, we can move past our bad moments, and offer each other grace and a fresh start. I never claimed to be perfect parent. I’m learning from my mistakes. My goal is to train up my children, and that training includes seeing their mother say “I’m sorry” too.
I’m off to spend some time with Nicholas outside before bed time. A little fresh air will do us both a lot of good
No comments:
Post a Comment