Friday, March 18, 2011

Heard at Our House

Nicholas sometimes may not act like he hears me, but I’m pretty sure that he’s listening. The other day he was telling me something and I responded, “Goody Goody Gumdrops.” He replied, “Mom, that’s kind of rude.” 


                                                                    ****************

I asked Nicholas to go play a little until school time, so I could get a couple things done. He had other ideas though, so I told him he could go play or go sit in his room. He left the room and said, “You almost hurt my feelings.”

“Good thing, it was just almost,” I told him.

“But, you almost did.”

                                                                  *****************
One of my favorite things he does lately is take his disappointment out on other people. I know that sounds kind of messed up, but hear me out. For instance, I’ll say, “Nicholas, if you don’t keep that sword out of Gabby’s face, you’re going to lose it.”

He’ll reply, “Fine! I’m not going to be Daddy’s buddy anymore.”

Poor Evan is at work and loses his “buddy” status without even knowing it.


                                                                *******************

“Is it school time yet?” he asked me.

“I’ll let you know, Bud.”

“Why did you call me ‘Bud’? You’re not allowed to call me ‘Bud’. That’s kind of annoying when you call me ‘Bud’. It makes my heart sad when you call me ‘Bud’?”

Warning: Don’t ever call him “Bud”. A strong reaction may follow.


                                                               *********************



Yesterday I was talking to my sister on the phone and she was teasing me. I pretended that I was offended, but Nicholas didn’t know it was all pretend. Nicholas promptly asked me for the phone. He first whispered to me, “Don’t worry, I’ll protect you.” Then, he told my sister that she had bad behavior and needed to sit on her bed. It’s nice to know he has my back.


                                                              ***********************

Finally, Nicholas loves to pray. We always pray before we start school. He knew that we would be going to Trad*r Joe’s today, so this was part of his prayer:

“Thank you that I will get my own shopping cart . . . if I listen. We’ll see though.”





Nicholas has a lot of fun quotes. I am going to try and do a better job of writing them down. Looking back and reading them really helps me to smile. I think that when you are a parent of a preschooler, you need reminders sometimes of just how enjoyable your kids can be.

1 comment:

rachel@thecupcakesprinklesinlife said...

LOL... He and Layla would be quick friends- she is witty with her words as well! :)