Friday, March 4, 2011

Almost 4

Nicholas and I had an eventful Thursday. We went to get our city taxes calculated and of course, I was missing one item. So, I gathered our things and headed back to my mom’s van (we borrowed it again). We had some time to kill before Nicholas’ dentist appointment, so I decided that we should go walk around a store.


I wasn’t intending to buy anything, but soon found myself faced with a dilemma. Nicholas’ birthday is next week. We purchased one gift for him. We were trying to come up with a couple more items. At this store, I found myself staring at one of the items we were considering, and it was $8.00 less than I had ever seen it. One problem - Nicholas was standing right there. So, I did what any good mommy would do of an almost four-year-old.  I decided to buy it.

“Who’s that for?” He asked me.

“Somebody,” I told him, “You’ll just have to wait and see.” I didn’t say “somebody else”. I said “somebody”. I wanted him to wait and be surprised for his birthday and I didn’t want to lie to him. I also picked out a puzzle too.

When we got to the register, the lady asked him if the guitar was for him.

“No,” he said sadly, “It’s for somebody else.”

I felt lousy. I’m hoping that he forgets the torture I put him through when he opens it next week.

Next, we headed to the dentist office. This was Nicholas’ third visit. The first two times he was nervous, so he had to sit on my lap during the entire check-up. I prepped him all week and reminded him that he was a brave boy who could sit by himself. And, he did! He needed me to hold his hand while she cleaned his teeth, but he was such a big boy throughout the appointment. I’m so proud of him. He also made sure to give his Buckeye cheer to our Ohio State Alum dentist.


They offered him the sunglasses because of the bright light.


He’s just growing up so fast. At church on Wednesday he told me that he didn’t need my help in the bathroom. In fact, before I could say anything, he closed the stall door, locked it and went all by himself. While I am happy about his independence in some areas, I am still a little sad.

I guess it is a little harder because I’ve only been his mom since he was 2. It is going to weird to experience a newborn. I’m thankful that we will have our next child in our family from the beginning. However, as much as I miss the time we didn’t have with Nicholas, I think I may want to adopt a toddler again in the future. It’s all up to God.

But, we will be celebrating Nicholas all weekend long. From the looks of things, he’s ready. I’ll try and post some pictures after the sugar high is over.

No comments: