Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter Bunny?

Good Friday is a very important day for us. It is a day where we recognize Christ’s ultimate sacrifice for us. A day that sometimes is hard for us to internalize. With all of the commercialism, I think sometimes we are way too numb to just how much of a sacrifice Christ made.

Nicholas is at an age where he can’t comprehend everything, but we’ve started small. He knows that on Palm Sunday that Jesus rode in on a donkey as the people shouted, “Hosanna!” It is so cute to hear him say it. We’ve also read about Jesus’ death on the cross. I’ve told him that Jesus showed the world just how much he truly loved them.

He also knows about Jesus being in a tomb, but I don’t think he fully grasps the concept of Jesus rising from the dead, which is okay. Each year he’ll understand more. We’re laying the foundation now.

So, where does the Easter Bunny come into play? You can see from my past blog that he saw the Easter bunny and went on an Easter egg hunt. We let him do it, but we don’t talk about the Bunny all the time. We don’t make him the center of holiday.

We do some of the activities because I’ve had fond memories from my own childhood. I just think it is important that he knows what we are truly celebrating. So, we’ll probably do a little Easter egg hunt this evening and give him his Easter basket.

But Sunday is coming and it really has nothing to do with a basket-delivering, egg-hiding bunny. It is about a love far bigger than we can even fathom. A love we often take for granted. Easter is about a day where Christ died for you and me.

No comments: