Monday, April 27, 2015

Rectangle Week

If I thought Daniel had some perfectionist tendencies last week, then this week proved it all the more.  He didn't like how the first rectangle was looking, so he asked me for another one.  I obliged, but then he didn't like how the second one looked.  So, I told him that he was getting one more and that was it.  Well, as you can imagine, he made a mistake on that one and that was it.  He whined and cried, but I didn't cave in. 

He ended up tracing and coloring another rectangle paper because the dot paint was put away for the day.  He decided to use every colored pencil or marker in the container to color this picture.  Then he piled them all on the table.  At least it kept him busy and content for awhile.





Daniel also colored some more rectangles one day.  Then, he traced some more rectangles later in the week.





The shape weeks haven’t been overly exciting, but he is learning them nonetheless.  We are moving onto triangles tomorrow. 

Another thing we are working hard on here is having our kids learn to do things around the house.  We have a chore chart that they complete each week.  Some jobs they do because they are a member of the family, others they earn money for completing them.  I also enacted “Bonus Commission” jobs.  These are jobs that don’t happen all the time, or are things they've done above and beyond to help the family.  One bonus job is folding towels.  These two fought to have this job when I brought the laundry basket out.  Daniel usually gets the wash clothes and Nicholas gets the rest.




Not only do they have to do their jobs, but they have to do them well (with age appropriateness).  If it isn't done well or only halfway, they may only get half the pay or none at all.  We can usually tell what was done with effort or not.  It just teaches them to do their best. 

Finally, we got out this past weekend for a little bike riding.  The wind made it a little chilly, but the boys both liked getting outside.  It should be nicer as the week goes on, so I’m sure they’ll be anxious to get out and ride again.





Daniel’s materials were found from various websites, such as:

No comments: