Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Go, Nicholas, Go!

We’re only seven days into April and a lot has happened.  First, we had a really nice Easter this year.  I felt like I kind of dropped the ball on any pre-Easter activities, but I managed to squeeze in a few.  We made Resurrection rolls.  Nicholas was an old pro at making them.  Daniel decided he would rather have the role of marshmallow tester. 




We also dyed Easter eggs.  We only did about 7 of them since not everyone in the family likes hard-boiled eggs.  I made my own dye with food coloring and vinegar and they turned out pretty nice.

He's doing a little color mixing.

And, a goofy "cheese"


We also did Resurrection Eggs.  This is where each egg contains a symbol of the Easter story and we discuss it.  I was surprised by how well Daniel listened.  While I don’t think he understood everything, he can tell you that Jesus died and rose again.

I’m not against the fun of Easter baskets and egg hunts.  I just want to make sure that it is not the focus of Easter.  So, we did it Saturday evening when Evan came home from work.  The more obvious eggs were for Daniel, while Nicholas asked for a challenge.  It took him a little longer than Daniel to find everything, but he got them all.

We also hid their baskets too.  We kept it simple with a little candy, a book, some new cars, and a small toy.  Both seemed pretty pleased.  Daniel had asked for this soft basketball when we were at the store the other week.  I put it in the cart right then and told him that maybe he would get one for Easter.  Then it sat on my fridge for a week.  He noticed it and said he wanted one.  Well, he was so happy there was one in his basket that he actually started sleeping with it at night.  That was the best $1.50 I ever spent.

You can see Nicholas still looking for his eggs in the background.

"There's one, Nicholas!"

Checking out Nicholas' candy.

More candy!

The next book in the series Nicholas is reading.

We ended up going to our church’s 8:00 service.  Then, later that afternoon we went to my parents’ house.  My sister set up a really fun Easter egg hunt for the boys.  Between all the Easter baskets/hunts our boys had, we have a huge bowl of candy sitting in our kitchen.
Ready for church

And, then, last night we had our CC End of the Year Ceremony.  It was a little crazy with all of the young kids, but nice.  Nicholas received his two certificates – for completing Cycle 3 and for being a Memory Master.  I had to go up a couple of times as well, to introduce my class and to receive a gift from our director. 
Receiving his Memory Master recognition

Silly face!


But the part that made me most happy, besides Nicholas’ achievements, was that our director surprised Evan with a small gift.  Evan always helps out on Mondays, and not just in my class.  He helps set up tables and chairs.  He shoveled and salted sidewalks.  He helps other moms take things to their cars.  He does a lot of this without being asked.  I was so proud that he was recognized for this wonderful character quality.
Being recognized


So, if that wasn't enough, for Nicholas to receive Memory Master, he also had another accomplishment tonight.  He passed Level 2 in swimming.  He has being trying to pass this level for quite some time.  He was so close in his previous attempts, but just couldn't quite do it.  I think he was in shock that he finally passed.  So, the next time I sign him up for lessons, it will be for Level 3, which is taught entirely in the deep end.
Do you really need another swimming picture, Mom?
Time to relax and watch another swimming lesson



Well, that’s a few highlights from the first week of April.  I don’t know how the rest of the month can top it.  

No comments: