Saturday, October 4, 2014

Go with the Flow

G week did not go much like I had planned.  I had a lot of coloring pages that I thought Daniel would be excited about, but he actually got more excited about emptying our crayons onto the floor one-by-one.  But, he did do some of the activities and of course, the dot paint always goes over big too.

He first decorated his G with the color green.

He traced the inside.


I then had him find all of his green cars and match them to the green piece of construction paper.  I thought this would be a challenge for him, but he had no problems doing it.



I tried to incorporate some green food into the week. He had green peas with his lunch on a green plate and with a green spoon.  Guess what he didn't feel like eating? 

No peas for me.




Later in the week we tried some green mint chocolate chip ice cream.  He’s never had that flavor, so it was fun to watch his initial reaction.

I'm not sure about this . . .


I'll give it another try.



Like I've said before, Nicholas is always excited about our themed snacks.  He wanted to add some whipped cream to his ice cream though.




Luckily it was the end of the can.



I thought Daniel would be super excited to color a picture of a garbage man with his crayons.  He was less than thrilled and pushed the paper away.  Once I got out the dot paint though, he was happy.







Then, he watched the real garbage men take away our trash.





Initially, he looked thrilled to color a picture of a giraffe.  He was even going to color it for Nana. 




After one scribble, he was done and it was time to put the crayons all over the floor.  Please note that every crayon is snapped in half.  He was exploring cause and effect the other week and now all of our crayons are just little nubs.









He did manage to make his own quiet activity later that morning.  He grabbed his Lamby and his books and read at the front door.




I’m not really disappointed that this week didn't go as planned.  I just go with the flow.  Overall, we had a really good week.  CC went really well and both boys got to play outside.  The home school group on Tuesday went well too.  Daniel played well by himself with some toys and also played with “lady”, which is what he called the 17-year-old young woman that was helping me keep an eye on him.

Thursday we had a play date with a family from our church that also homeschools.  They have five kids, four boys and a girl sandwiched right in the middle.  The two oldest boys match up and play well with Nicholas.  The youngest two boys are close to Daniel’s age.  I’m hoping they can all keep up these friendships for years to come.

I should have a couple Nicholas-centric posts coming up soon.  I haven’t forgotten about him.  I’m not sure if he wants me to document his schoolwork like I have been for Daniel.  Although, he did make his name in hieroglyphics at the home school group and will probably give his presentation at CC this week on the Egyptians.  That boys is going to be wealth of knowledge someday.

We have a lot going on the next two weeks.  I'll update when I can.

No comments: