Friday, August 15, 2014

A Little Bit of This, a Little Bit of That

We've had a long week here.  We had some fun days, but then Daniel’s “teething illness” kicked in.  He has two molars left and I’m pretty sure they are on their way.  He’s had his fingers in his mouth for over a week now.  Then, he got a runny nose (like he does every time).  Usually, he’ll get a low grade fever too.  But, not this time.  Instead he got a very weird disappearing, reappearing bug bite-looking rash.  I noticed it Wednesday afternoon on his cheek.  I didn't think much of it until it got pink.  But, it soon disappeared and reappeared on his other cheek.

We ended up going to my parents’ house that evening to celebrate Amy’s birthday.  They all saw the rash.  Then they all noticed it disappear and a small little rash appear on the other cheek again.  After a while, this too disappeared and little bug bite-like rashes appeared on his arms, legs and torso.  They too disappeared and reappeared in other places.

I contemplated taking him to the doctor, but the next morning there were only a couple and they disappeared by mid-morning.  However, they reappeared after his nap, but only a couple.  I decided to wash all of his sheets and blankets.  We had used a different detergent recently, so I wondered if that was the culprit.  By the time Evan got home from work that evening, they were gone.  I haven’t really seen any since.  It is just strange.  So, it could have been laundry detergent or a virus, or just some mysterious thing to keep me on my toes for a couple of days.  But, it appears to be over(but, we shall see).

Anyway, other than that, I've been trying to get ready for the first day of school.  On Wednesday morning (before the weird rash dilemma), the boys and I went to a local teachers’ store to get some supplies for CC.  I could have spent a lot of money in that store.  There were so many neat resources.  CC doesn't start until after Labor Day, so we may be back.  I have most of the things I need for our days at home, but I did find some fun blank maps for Nicholas to work on labeling the United States.

Daniel is definitely ready to start the school year (more on that in the future).  He is a coloring machine lately.  In fact, the last week or so, he has spent time lining all of his “masterpieces” on our couch.  We lovingly nicknamed it his “gallery”.  He colored every picture in his last coloring book, so we bought him a new one at the dollar store today. 


Early stages of the gallery





Daniel has conquered a new skill today.  He can now open his bedroom door when it is closed.  Nicholas was up there with the door closed and Daniel didn't want to be left out, so he let himself in.  I thought the door might have not been closed all the way, so I took him out and made sure the door was tightly closed.  He did it again!  Either we’ll have to pull out those safety door knob things or Daniel will be letting himself into every closed door in the house.




Nicholas doesn't have any new skills, but he’s received a lot of nice compliments lately.  We do our best to teach good manners around here, but sometimes it seems like it falls on deaf ears.  But, lately, I've had a few people tell me that he was well-mannered.  He can be a very sweet boy.




Finally, we went to a baptism last Sunday.  It was a nice time to catch up with family and both boys were well-behaved.  Nicholas got a real nice spot next to the priest when the baby was actually being baptized.  Daniel, on the other hand, was our master prayer.  He said “amen” out loud a couple of times when the priest was done praying.  We spent a lot of time chuckling during the baptism.  Not because it was funny, but because our kids were just being cute.  

After it was over, there were plenty of opportunities for pictures.  I thought that maybe we would try and get a family picture, since I’m barely in any of them.  Well, tell that to a two-year-old.  I have some pictures, but none worthy of a frame.  Maybe when he’s closer to three we’ll have some cooperation.










We have the world’s busiest first week of school coming up.  We’ll get our school work in, but there will be plenty of field trips too!

No comments: