Nicholas’ first violin lesson went really well. He learned that the bow is more important than the violin. So, he and his teacher worked on his grip. He got it for the most part. It’s just hard to manipulate his fingers in ways he is not used to doing.
In order to get used to playing the violin, he had to play “Twinkle, Twinkle” on his shoulder with his bow while he and (mostly) his teacher hummed the tune.
He also learned where to place the violin, as well as the names of the four strings. He definitely likes plucking the strings. Finally, he learned how to put it away, which should be very gently.
Nicholas has to practice every day. Each day we take the violin and bow out of the case. We tighten the horse hairs on the bow (because you can’t put it away tightened). Then he practices his grip and practices the song on his shoulder. Then, I fly the violin under his chin like an airplane and we go over the different strings. Nicholas likes to take initiative and has started "playing" the violin with the bow. He’ll be learning that soon enough though.
I didn’t take any pictures at his lesson because I didn’t want to make him or his teacher nervous, but I took some during his practices. Now, you can see the size of the violin.
Here’s a picture of me for an even better idea:
We’re committed to him taking lessons for a year. So, far he likes it. Even if he decides not to continue in a year or two from now, I think it is definitely a good experience for him.
Just a reminder: There is another Ordinary Hero grant contest that started today. It runs until Sunday, October 9th at midnight (CST). The top prize wins $500, in addition to the 40% we receive for each purchase. You just need to choose my name from the affiliate drop-down box at check out. Thanks for thinking of us!
1 comment:
That is the cutest little violin ever!!! I'm glad he enjoyed his first lesson!
Post a Comment