Friday, October 21, 2011

Milestone Week

Nicholas had a great week overall! He faced many of his fears and continued to do well with his schoolwork. Here’s the recap:


Monday:

Nicholas sang every song at Story Time! For the past month he has been hiding next to (or on) my mom. I challenged him to sing just one song. He wittingly said, “The Good Bye song?” He surprised me though and did them all. He made sure to make eye contact with me each time so we could give each other thumbs up.



Tuesday:

Nicholas had another good swimming lesson. He continues to remain so close to swimming on his own. He just needs to get his legs out straight.



Wednesday:

Nicholas had a great night at church! First, it was Crazy Sock Night. He wore his new Cars socks that GG got him. He was also decked out in his new firefighter shirt (also from GG) and fire truck underwear for safety night. The fireman even brought a fire truck for the kids to see and sit in. I was with the youth group, but Nicholas said it was so much fun. The highlight for him was that the fireman liked his shirt.









Thursday:

Evan has taught Nicholas how to play his practice song for violin correctly. I have no musical background whatsoever (unless you want to count the recorder in 4th grade). Evan wouldn’t let Nicholas give up and it actually sounded pretty good. I’m hoping it will work out for Evan to come to one of his lessons one of these days.

Also, Nicholas jumped into the pool without fingers (and without a nudge from me)! His teacher moved her fingers out of the way. At first, he looked shocked. But, he asked to jump again so it wasn’t too traumatic. I’m hoping he will remember how fun it was during this coming Tuesday’s lesson.

We also had his celebration that I mentioned in my last post.


Friday:

We started out our day with a trip to a couple grocery stores. Nicholas is very helpful in more ways than one. First, he listens pretty well, so he can help me put things in the cart. Second, he has “people” at every store. He has a cashier at one store that he talks to each time. Because of this “relationship”, he got us in a line that already had its light turned off. At the other store, he knows a woman from church. I’m sure he could probably get us the best meat specials if he tried.

One thing we made sure to do is get the ingredients for pumpkin chocolate chip cookies today. Once a month I try and spend some time cooking with Nicholas. It is good for teaching him to follow directions, about measurements, and just plain fun. They turned out pretty well. I substituted regular flour with whole wheat flour, so other than the sugar, most of the ingredients weren’t too bad.


















Taking a break to do school while the cookies were in the oven.







The baker is pleased with his work.




We’re home for the rest of the day. We’re hoping the rain stays away, so our weekend plans aren’t rained out or extremely muddy! More on that later . . .

No comments: