Friday, July 22, 2011

Some More Thoughts on Domestic

We didn’t expect one, but there was always hope. We didn’t receive a grant from Show Hope this time. They blessed us with one for Nicholas’ adoption, so I wondered if that would happen twice. They just don’t have enough funds to help everyone that applies.

I’m not really talking about Show Hope, but people in general - domestic adoption doesn’t seem to rank high on the importance scale. There are tons of couples waiting for newborns, especially Caucasian babies. So, some may think we aren’t really going where there is a need. International has more waiting children. They’re waiting in orphanages. Many times you can look on waiting children lists and find a child that speaks to your heart.

We’ve done the International route and I like many aspects of it. We may even do it in the future. But, only God knows where any future children will come from. But, one thing you don’t often get in International adoption is a face of a birth parent. Sometimes you can forget that there is a birth parent.

Our agency limits the number of waiting families. I think there are only 15 or less. They don’t pressure birth mothers to make a plan. But, if a birth parent is looking for a Christian couple in our area, they have options. They can choose to give a baby life instead of having an abortion. They can choose to give a baby a stable home if they are unable to parent. Domestic is no less important than International.

We felt that domestic adoption was the way to go because of Nicholas. Nicholas still needs us to be there to tuck him in at night. A couple weeks away would be very, very hard on him. Nicholas’ adoption made us wonder more about his birth family. With domestic, we have a better chance of knowing more about our second child’s family. Also, Evan’s been at this job for just about a year. I don’t know that he can be as flexible with this company as he was with his last one.

Sometimes I have to write this out not because I have all these “haters” in my life, but because I just am sensitive and the excitement of this adoption just feels different. We also have less to tell people than last time, which makes it seem less like it is happening.

At the same time, we have had some incredible support so far from some wonderful people. I am almost done with my thank you notes for those that have given as of last Wednesday (7/13) to Lifesong. I want people to know that even though they asked that donations be sent in by July 6th, the account is still open for those that want to give a tax-deductible donation.

Here are the details:



Lifesong for Orphans


PO Box 40 / 202 N. Ford Street

Gridley, IL 61744


Please put your donation preference in the memo line of the check – Preference: Morgan #2013. This is very important so the money is earmarked for our adoption.

 

Also, our puzzle fundraiser has stalled recently. We have 154 pieces sponsored. The ultimate goal is to have every piece sponsored. It would be great if we could get the number to 200 in the next couple of weeks. Please consider sponsoring a piece for $10. We will write your name on the back of each piece you sponsor so we can show our child the people that helped bring him/her home.


Third, I noticed that Ordinary Hero has some new merchandise. There are some new shirts and jewelry. Check them out. There’s no grant contest right now, but we receive 40% of each purchase. Just choose my name in the affiliate drop-down box at checkout.


Finally, I would like to announce that we do have enough for our matching fee!!! Like I said earlier, we were blessed by some amazing people. We are so grateful for their willingness to help support us. I’ve decided to break up our expenses into goals. Goal #1(Matching fee) has been met. Goal #2 is to raise our birthmother expenses. We still need $2470. That’s 247 puzzle pieces! Or if 25 people gave $100 to Lifesong, we’d be on to Goal #3 – the Placement fee. And, any purchases at Ordinary Hero will help too.

Instead of just looking at the final amount, I’ve decided that by breaking it into “Goals” it is more manageable. God knows what we need and when we need it. By having the birthmother expenses ready, we’ll certainly be ready to be matched.

Our agency will be sending its monthly update the first week of August. Please pray for these women as they make some difficult decisions. Also, pray for the waiting families. The wait can be quite long for some and it isn’t easy.

We appreciate everyone who has given and/or has prayed for us. You may not be called to adopt yourself, but you have made a difference in our lives. Thank you!

No comments: