Thursday, July 28, 2011

Celebrating Evan

Yesterday was Evan’s birthday! Because of his new work schedule, it worked out for him to have the day off. We decided to head to the zoo. My mom, sister, and I took Nicholas there last year, but he spent more time watching construction equipment than he did looking at the animals. This year he showed a lot more interest. He was also a trooper. We didn’t bring the stroller and he never complained about walking.


The weather was warm, but not unbearable. We were sweating a little bit, but nothing like the church picnic. We spent about three hours there, which was perfect. We saw all the exhibits, including the rain forest. As I get older, the zoo becomes less thrilling though. I’m not sure it really needs to be an every year event. But, here are some pictures from the day:




Nicholas in front of the monkeys



Three monkeys on a bench?





Over halfway to being the size of a newborn giraffe




Checking out the elephants at the zoo’s new exhibit




Are you looking at me?









Up close with a cheetah



They’re trying to get the cheetah’s attention.



Waiting for the elephant to cross from one side of the exhibit to the other.





Willy is coming this way!






We got to stand pretty close when he crossed.







Nicholas really wanted to feed the sea lion. He went and paid for the fish by himself.



Tossing the fish in



A happy sea lion



We ended the night by having dinner with Evan’s parents at one of his favorite restaurants. Because it was his birthday, the restaurant let him choose any dessert he wanted for free. He chose this big chocolate cake that served 4-5 (the menu said 2). I think everyone was happy with his decision.

Since he is also off from work today, the party continues. I’m glad that we get to celebrate his birthday with him like this because he’s been working a lot of hours in the last two weeks. It was starting to take its toll on him, so I’m hoping all of the celebrating lifts his spirits.

No comments: