Thursday, June 11, 2009

Adjustment

Yesterday I was feeling so awake. I even commented to Evan and Luba on how I feel like we adjusted so well to the time change on this trip. Well, about an hour after we returned from Pre-Court, my energy started to drain. Evan and I were watching something on the laptop one minute, and the next I was out cold. Once I woke up from my nap, I headed to bed. I hate going to bed too early because then I am wide awake in the middle of the night. I can’t wait to fully be on Tomsk time. It doesn’t help that the sun comes up at 4:00 in the morning though.

Waking up in the middle of the night also allows me time to think. For those of you who regularly read my blog, you know that I tend to be a worrier and too much of a thinker. Yesterday was no exception. There really should be no issues with our court case. I just worry that our judge will not make a decision in one court session. Last Fall, we did go to court 5 or 6 times before we went home. Only two things have changed since we were last here: my employment and the fact that Nicholas has Russian citizenship. I already explained my unemployment yesterday to the judge, but I have a feeling we will re-hash it next week too.

We had some pretty good visits with Nicholas today. We chose to play in the baby home for the first visit since it was cooler outside. That was such a bad idea. Even Nicholas was sweaty by the time we were done playing. So, this afternoon we had our visit outside. Nicholas’ group was outside as well. When he saw them playing, he made a break for it and joined them. We decided we would just play amongst all the kids. I counted 16 of them. We had a lot of fun.

Since it was so hot outside, near the end of their playtime, their caregivers brought a tray of 16 teacups filled with water. It was quite a sight. There was no breakage and only one spill among the whole group. When Nicholas saw the little boy spill his water, he pointed at him as if to say, “Hey, don’t waste that!” See, Nicholas doesn’t waste a drop. He also helps us drink the bottled water that we bring.

I think Evan’s pride and joy moment of the afternoon is when he read Nicholas’ shirt: #1 Girl Baby. At least he wasn’t wearing the shiny, sparkly pants that this one little girl was wearing. Anya was our interpreter this afternoon and this particular girl took a liking to her. They were reading and playing together. Then all of a sudden Anya got up and left. She returned about ten minutes later and said that the little girl was playing and then all of a sudden had an accident on her lap. Then, the little girl never left her side. She even called Anya, “Mama”. We teased her and told her that she should tell her dad she’s bringing home a friend.

Luba is on vacation for the long weekend, so sometimes we will be with Anya and sometimes we will be without an interpreter. Our visits are definitely going faster than they did last October. Nicholas is so active that we find ourselves constantly chasing after him. Between chasing him and our “Russia Diet” we should be in shape and looking good by the time we get home.

Now we’re going to watch some American television on iTunes and try to stay awake past 7:00.

Kristin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HALLELUJIA!! I got teary eyed.
We'll be home (Cleveland) for Labor Day. Can't wait to see Nicholas (and you guys too)!
Carolyn