In fact, for the last 7+ months I have been sending
pictures to Daniel’s birth mother’s mother. Our first visit after Daniel was born happened over four months ago with J and her parents at a local
mall. Our social worker also joined us
for that visit, but there was no awkwardness.
J and her parents were able to hold Daniel and ask us
questions about how he was doing. We
were interested to hear about their lives as well. I hate when people make it look like J is the
bad guy. In our book, she is one of the
bravest and most selfless people we know.
She gave us a precious gift because she knew that she was not ready to
be a mother. She found herself in a
situation where many people in today’s world could find themselves. Her parents also were brave and supported
their daughter.
After having a good visit back in August, we didn't know
if/when we would see J again. I received
an e-mail in October or November asking if they could have another visit. Evan and I talked about it and we thought it was
good for J to see him then. The last few
months he has been at a cute stage and will smile at almost anyone.
So, we found a good location and set up a time around
Thanksgiving. Again, everything went
smooth. They took turns holding him the
entire hour and a half we were there.
Nicholas also joined us and did pretty well sitting for that long (it
helped that we fed him lunch). J and her
parents were really good about including Nicholas in the conversation too.
As we were leaving they expressed an interest in getting
together around Christmas. They wanted
to give a gift to both Daniel and Nicholas.
We understood their feelings and we both went home to work on finding a date
that we could agree upon. That happened right
before New Year’s. It was very
comfortable again. They blessed Nicholas
with a nice police Matchb*x set and Daniel with a nice Step 2* toy.
I made J a photo book online of Daniel’s first 6
months. I made sure he was the only one
in the pictures. While everything is
comfortable, I truly don’t know how J feels once she leaves the
restaurant. I think it helps that she
and her family get to see him every so often.
But, it still has to be difficult watching him grow up without
them. It is a weird feeling for us too. It is not threatening just interesting when
you think about it. I don’t know when
our next visit will be, but I do know that there will be another visit.
I am grateful for both of my children’s birth mothers. Both chose life for their children when they
could have chosen the alternative. Both
are people we hold in high esteem. While
we don’t know 100% of the whys in Nicholas’ situation, we can speculate, and we
know that Nicholas’ birth mom’s decision was probably incredibly hard for
her. So, I hope that when people talk
about our boys’ birth mothers that they respect them as the women that chose
life for Nicholas and Daniel. Especially
as they get older, it is important that the comments are uplifting and
kind. I know people mean well and want
to make it look like these women were crazy to “give up” their children, but
they made a loving decision and placed them for adoption because they knew that
they couldn't provide them with what they needed. Right now, Nicholas hears everything and
understands more than you think.
A month or two ago, Nicholas was actually going through a
hard time of trying to understand how Daniel has his birth mother in his life
and the fact that he may never see his own again. We were both crying at the kitchen table as
we talked about it. I told him that he
can continue to pray for her and that God knows all about her. He should bring his questions and his worries
to God, but we may not know any answers until heaven.
I did ask him what he would like to say to his birth mother
if he saw her again. He simply said, “I
would tell her ‘I love you’.” That’s why
I ask that people be sensitive when talking about these women. Our sons will probably always love their
birth mothers and that is good.
Years ago I didn't truly understand open adoptions and
that is a big reason I give people grace in their own attitudes and
judgments. As Daniel gets older, I don’t
know what it will look like or what he’ll want, but so far it has been a
positive experience for us.
I’ll leave you with a few pictures of the boys and their
gifts from J and her family.
| A great toy that will grow with him the next couple of years. |
| Nicholas' toy hooks onto a table. |
| He spotted the camera again! |
1 comment:
Daniel is so stinkin' cute! What a big boy. My heart goes out to Nicholas... he handles things with such a maturity for his young age. I can't wait to see you!
Post a Comment