Sunday, January 17, 2010

SLEEPY

We started off the week by decorating the “S” with stars. It got messy, so we took off his shirt halfway through.





We also colored some pictures that started with an “S”. As you can see, Super WHY! made an appearance at the table.





Nicholas also glued and colored a picture of himself in a star that said: “Nicholas is Super!”





We have been working on some other skills as well. Nicholas is working hard to dress himself with just a little assistance from Evan and me. He can put on his pants and his underwear. He can also put on his shoes and is starting to learn how to put on his socks. I also taught him a fun method to put on his coat. He is definitely at the stage where he wants to do everything himself.



Finally, we worked on some review. I found a site online that makes up BINGO boards with different topics. We did a review of his letters. I think in the future I will print off the numbers and shapes boards since they probably need the most review.



Now onto my blog title . . . We’re tired. See, last Fall we made a very big mistake. We took Nicholas to a clam bake right next to the train tracks. These trains were way too close and loud for his comfort and resulted in sleep issues that started all the way back in October. So, if he is in a light sleep and hears a train whistle, he immediately gets out of bed. We’re not sure whether he’s still 100% afraid of them or if he uses the train whistles as an excuse to get out of bed. We’re praying about it to see the best way to handle it.

Last night was the first night he didn’t wake up all week. The other nights it was at least two times. Call us heartless, but if he wakes up in the middle of the night, he still stays in his room. We may come in to talk about the issue, but he is not sleeping in our bed. That’s a decision Evan and I made before Nicholas even came home. We know that if we give Nicholas an inch, he’ll take a mile. We are trying to teach him how to fall asleep on his own in his own bed. Everything is a process, but we are persevering until he learns.

Even though we’re losing sleep, we’ve been having some fun too. We got to go to the library again this week and check out more books. Nicholas surprised my sister and me by counting higher than he ever has before. He’s also really into talking on the phone and is starting to converse a lot better with the person on the other end of the line. He really looks like a natural when he is talking.





Finally, I decided to make exercise a priority in my life. It’s not a New Year’s resolution. It’s just something I’ve wanted to do, but was too lazy to get started. The first time I came downstairs in my shorts and tank top, Nicholas laughed at me. I tried not to take it too personally until he felt my legs. I responded, “Sorry if I missed a day or two.” Then he laughed at my shorts and said, “Mommy underwear.” I want to go on record to say that I do not exercise in my underwear. Nicholas is notorious for telling everyone what goes on in our house. They are shorts, so do not believe everything you hear from him.

Anyway, Nicholas likes to put his shorts and tank top on too now and exercise with me. He calls it dancing. (Note: I don’t dance in my underwear either!). So far, I’ve kept it up a week. Sadly, that is longer than I ever have. I plan on not living by my emotions and exercising whether I feel like it or not. With that said, if you don’t hear Nicholas talk about me dancing in my underwear then you probably need to confront me and ask me if I’m still exercising.

Kristin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember putting my coat on that way when I was little! He's getting so big :)
Nicole
(admit it- you've been dancing around in your underwear for years ;) )