Thursday, September 24, 2009

“We could smell it on his breath.”

It just looked so good. All he wanted was just one sip. Maybe no one would notice. He just couldn’t resist.

“We could smell it on his breath” was actually the words of the nursery worker when I picked Nicholas up from his class on Wednesday morning. It turns out that Nicholas got a hold of some bubbles and had a little drink. Apparently, he was thirsty and thought bubbles would make a nice beverage. He never did that before and hopefully, after realizing it didn’t taste good, will not do it again. It seems like the nursery workers always have something to tell me when I pick him up. I find it somewhat amusing.

I’ve been thinking lately about the last few months. I just put Nicholas down for a nap and it was so EASY! This is a big deal because he used to scream and cry. He used to fight sleep. It was horrible. After instituting the choice of rest time on the couch, things slowly got better. Now he just goes down for a nap in his room. And, as an added bonus, his naps have been closer to an hour and a half or longer lately. This was a trial that never seemed like it would end. He also goes to bed well at night. We have a routine, which has helped a lot.

We’ve moved onto a new trial right now – potty training. Before we actually got serious about it, Nicholas would use the potty 2-4 times a day. He would tell us when he was wet or had to go to the bathroom. I figured that making the transition to full-time potty training would be easy. Think again! I think it is stressing him out. He’s had some accidents. He refuses to go the potty or he wants to just go into the bathroom and not do anything. So, I decided to wait a little longer. And, guess what? He’s using the potty again several times a day. He’s even asked to wear underwear. I’ve decided to keep the training casual again for a little bit. He’s got a sticker chart for when he does go, which has actually helped his counting skills (I have to count every sticker each time I put a new one on). I know there are books and methods out there, but for now, we’re letting Nicholas take the lead.

This will be a short blog today. I should have another one (possibly two) in the next day or so.

Kristin

No comments: