Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Off the Deep End?

I was contemplating lately about how much my blog has changed in the last few months. There was a long period where it was pretty deep and open. It really hasn’t been that way since we’ve been home. I think that in the near future, I may open up more again. I just feel like my mind is mush when I sit down and write some of these blogs.

I guess one thing that I can share is how I asked God to not let me forget all He has done for us in Nicholas’ adoption. When things are resolved, it is easy to go back to the way things use to be and forget everything you’ve learned along the way. Well, God has certainly been reminding me of how he took care of Nicholas’ adoption and how he continues to take care of me now.

I am continuing to learn a new Bible verse twice a month. For my last verse, I decided to use a verse I know, but in another translation. The New Living Translation of Proverbs 16:1-3 says: “We can make our own plans, but the Lord gives the right answer. People may be pure in their own eyes, but the Lord examines their motives. Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed."

I have learned that I can’t plan my life and have realized that God’s plans prevail. I know God has a plan for my life and I know He will take care of me. It’s hard to see where we are going sometimes, but these verses remind me to have faith and actually believe that God knows what He is doing, even when I don’t understand it. We won’t always know why, but sometimes we actually get that “a-ha” moment and realize why God took us down that path and wondered why we wasted time worrying all along. So, as hard as things can get at times, I have to make a conscious effort to commit all my plans to the Lord. Maybe we're going to be on the same page, or maybe He has a better way.

I hope my thoughts made sense. I’ve just been thinking about all of this lately. I’m learning a lot about myself now that I am a mother, but I’ll probably share more about that in a future post. I'm not where I want to be yet, but I feel like I'm at least on my way.

In Nicholas news . . . this is a week of play dates. Yesterday he played with his cousin, Carter in the morning. They are working on sharing. Nicholas, as most 2 year olds, isn’t always fond of other kids playing with his toys. We had some good moments though and the visit did end with them kissing each other on the lips (they did that all on their own). One thing about Nicholas though is that when he loves you, he loves you hard. He loves to take a running start before he throws himself at people for a hug. That’s fine for adults, but Carter wasn’t ready for his stockier cousin to give him a huge bear hug. There also was the incident where Nicholas gave Carter “the claw”, which is when he puts his hand on someone’s face. I guess we need to remind him that it is only supposed to be done with Daddy. Too bad I didn’t have my camera handy to get Carter’s shocked face though.

Tomorrow we have two play dates. In the morning, we are meeting his friend, Anthony. Anthony is a little bigger than Nicholas, so I don’t think he’ll attempt “the claw” there. Then, in the evening, he’ll get to play with his friend, A.J. I’m sure Nicholas misses being around other kids, so we are doing our best to make sure he has friends.

I’ll leave you with Nicholas and Evan demonstrating “the claw”!






Kristin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so happy for all of you!!!
Hanan Knight