I realized that it’s been a few days since I blogged. We had a pretty good weekend. On Friday night we celebrated Evan’s mom’s birthday. Nicholas was in his championship-eating form. He pretty much ate everything in sight. I really want to tell people that we feed him pretty healthy at home. So, when he sees French fries, ice cream, and cake, he gets pretty excited. It was also his first time to stay up way past his bedtime. Why is it that he was wide awake, but I was ready for bed? We kind of paid for it the next day though. He was a bit cranky until he got re-adjusted again. But, we had fun, so it was worth it.
Evan's mom's gigantic birthday dessert
This week has been pretty laid back so far. It’s weird having no place to go. I think we may want to get out and go somewhere today though. Yesterday Nicholas was having a rough day. It seemed like we spent more time dealing with disobedience than having fun. I really hate those days. It’s hard not to take things personally and get down on myself as a mother. I am really working hard on my patience levels too.
Thankfully, something clicked with him this morning and we’ve started out with pretty good behavior. When he wakes up he screams and jumps. I’ve been telling him for weeks that he needs to just call out our names. If he hears the shower, that means Mommy will be come get him in a little bit. He just needs to be patient (Easier said than done for a 2 year-old). So, this morning, he woke up and started screaming and jumping. I sighed as I heard this, wondering what today would be like. Then, he stopped. He started talking to himself. He remained calm and allowed me to finish getting ready. When I went in to get him, he was all smiles. What an encouragement after yesterday.
I know everyday won’t be all smiles, but it really did let me know that he’s listening. All my “training” isn’t falling on deaf ears. He’s had so much to deal with in the last two months. I’m often reminded of all the things he’s overcome with little problem. He really is a happy guy – most of the time. We are so thankful that God brought us together.
I’ll leave you with one picture. After feeling the burden of the adoption for the last year, I think Evan finally has something on his shoulders he doesn’t mind carrying.
Kristin
No comments:
Post a Comment