Tuesday, May 12, 2015

1-2-3

This past week I reviewed the numbers 1-10 with Daniel.  He can count without a problem, but he only recognizes about a third of the numbers.  This is something I am actually going to work on with him this summer.

He dot painted a bee with numbers 1-10 listed on it. 



We did a couple of hands-on activities this week as well. One was where he needed to put the corresponding blocks to the numbers.  He ended up doing this activity a few times.



He also built a couple more book towers in his free time. 



We matched a dog with a number on it to the corresponding bone that had that many dots on it.  He liked this activity too.  When we were done he wanted to put it on the fridge.  Unfortunately, I don’t have twenty magnets available.



I also like when I see my children incorporating things they have learned in their play time.  The other day I looked over and Daniel was making shapes with his cars.   He was so proud that he could make a square and a rectangle.  I remember being proud of Nicholas when he made a circle out of the blue with his cars one day when he was Daniel’s age.



On Friday, Daniel dot painted the numbers again.  This time it was on a dog.  Before he started painting, I pointed to each number 1-10 and had him say it.  I thought I would try and point to them randomly, but he said, “I already telled that.”  So, I left him to his painting.  Later, I asked him if he could smile and say, “Cheese.”  He replied, “I’m working.”  Apparently, the boy knows what he wants or doesn't want.



He did want to dot paint another dog, so I printed out another one.  Daniel can be a ham at times.  When I went to take his picture he said, “I have dot paint on my nose.  It is my mustache.”


Finally, I had some squares with numbers 1-10.  I mixed them up and had him try and pick out the right one.  Then, we put them in order.  For some reason, numbers are harder for him.  That’s one of the reasons I’m going to focus on it in greater detail this summer.




We still have two weeks of school left, so I won't talk much about summer school yet.  We always do a couple subjects just to keep them fresh though.  In the meantime, we have a lot going on in the next couple of weeks.  We’re getting the house ready to put on the market again, which means we have a lot of appointments related to that in the next week or so.  Hopefully, this time, we’ll find success.




Daniel’s materials were found from various websites, such as:

No comments: