Thursday, February 2, 2012

Making Me Nervous

Nicholas may be afraid to jump off the diving board, but apparently, he’s not afraid of the deep end. I was proud of him on Tuesday when he treaded water in the deep end. I started getting a little nervous though when he began to push his noodle away and swam to it while the teacher was working with one of the other kids. He was quite proud of himself, so I just asked him to make sure his teacher was watching him in the future.

Then there was today. Nicholas’ teacher took them to one of the lanes to see how far they could swim. She wanted to take one at a time. Nicholas kept practicing in the shallow end, but was getting very close to where it dips to four feet . When he looked my way, I motioned for him to swim back toward the shallow end. The lifeguard soon came over to their side of the pool, which made things a little better.

Nicholas did swim the length of the pool with a couple of breaks and his teacher’s help. I was very proud of him. Then came the moment where I wasn’t sure whether to be proud or bite all my nails off. He wrapped his noodle around himself and headed to do another lap on his own! His teacher was already near the other side, but he just kept swimming toward her. He ended up doing at least 2 ½-3 laps today when it was all said in done.

To cap it off, he jumped off the swim team’s block (not the diving board) with just his teacher’s hand. I felt like today was a great lesson for him. He’s definitely come a long way!

Well, I'm sure there is something else that could be making me nervous too, but I'm trying not to dwell on it too much.  My cousin (who used the same agency as us) gave me some great tips for our meeting tomorrow.  I can't wait to share some good news (that's called being optimistic)!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Excited for you - praying for you guys!