I am happy to report that we got all of our schooling done along with our running around. I’ll pick up where I left off in my last post.
On Wednesday, we met my good friend Kristy and her son for a play date. We could really tell that the boys are growing up because we were able to talk for about 2 ½ hours with minimal interruptions. It was so nice to have some major adult conversation.
Once we got home from the play date, I realized that Nicholas was in need of a nap. His body needed a little rest from all of our running around. I think he got about an hour nap before he woke up and spent time playing with Evan (who ended up working a half a day). After dinner, we headed to church for their Wednesday night program. Nicholas had another great night. We received a calendar of events for the next few months and it looks like there are some fun theme nights coming up.
Then, Thursday brought some alone time for me. Actually, my mom and I went to a mom’s group at another church to listen to someone from our church speak. She did an excellent job and it was nice to be around other moms. Most of the moms were struggling with the same things – finding the joy when dealing with young kids. It was encouraging.
While I was with my mom, Nicholas and Evan headed to swimming lessons. From what Evan said, it sounded like it was a lot like the lesson I observed on Tuesday. They decided to head to their favorite donut place afterward for a snack. I really wasn’t surprised. I’m glad they got to spend some one-on-one time together.
After lunch and a short rest time, we headed to get Nicholas’ haircut and then decided to get our grocery shopping done since we were busy Friday morning. It was me who crashed on the couch early Thursday evening.
Finally, Friday we met with a teenage girl who Nicholas will be taking violin lessons from. He really wants to play the guitar someday, so we felt like this will be a good start. My mom came to introduce us to the teacher and her mother. Her 14-year-old brother was also there. Nicholas had just finished a snack at the table when he asked to get down. I asked him what he wanted. He pointed at the teenage boy and said, “I want to play with him.”
And, play they did. They spent at least an hour and a half playing the Wii together. I love how patient this young man was with Nicholas. There was plenty of laughter too. I love when older kids are kind to younger kids. It is something we are working on with Nicholas even now.
In regards to the lesson, in the next couple of weeks we will be fitting him with a violin. He’ll probably start 15-30 minute lessons once a week come October. He’s excited.
I’m going to close with some pictures from the rest of our first week of school.
Evan taught Nicholas about fire safety this week. He did a couple fire drills with him. They also practiced "Stop, Drop, and Roll".
| Evan demonstrating |
| Nicholas' turn |
He practiced our phone number by calling the house.
When we were going over the date on Friday, I realized it was Nicholas' half-birthday. I told him that he was halfway to 5. He asked me, "Was I 4 1/2 yesterday? What about tomorrow?"
I guess I tripped him up when I asked him how old he was on video though.
We colored some fire safety pictures that he could hang up as reminders.
He mastered some more phonograms in his spelling course.
Finally, we had computer time. I'm not sure if this time is more for playing educational games or just learning how to use the mouse. He did like the fact that I gave him a lot of independence in this area.
I'm happy with how our first week went. We are doing just the right amount of school each day. Next week still has a little running around to do. I am going to be a tad bit busier on the weekends too. My sister started a business venture recently and I'm going to be helping her. Thankfully, Poppy has volunteered to spend some time with Nicholas while I am helping. I will be talking more about her business soon.
Back to resting . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment