This month’s theme for school is Christmas. I was going to have individual weekly themes, but everything I wanted to do is running together. There is so much going on, so we haven’t even done school every day, but we’ve done a lot of fun activities.
Evan’s dad belongs to a train club and every year they hold a Christmas Open House. Nicholas wasn’t feeling like himself earlier in the day, but by the time we got to the club, he felt a lot better. I got a pretty good picture after several takes.
As far as school goes, we did make a reindeer out of a paper bag. I traced Nicholas’ hands and let him help me glue everything on. He even drew eyes on the reindeer all by himself. They actually looked like eyes; even though they were a little lower than they should be.
We did do our workbooks and sight words as well. Nicholas is really catching on quickly. He is forcing me to reevaluate how we’re going to do school after the New Year.
Nicholas and I had an interesting time making a gingerbread house. I say “interesting” because I managed to make a big mess and got frustrated. Once I got the house to stay together, Nicholas and I did our best to salvage my mess. We had a lot of fun decorating.
When we were done, Nicholas stripped down to his undershirt and underwear since his clothes were full of dried icing. He asked me if he could have some of the left over candy. I had to get my camera when I saw this:
Nicholas also rode the train at the mall. This is kind of a big deal. Last year he wanted nothing to do with it. This year, he rode it once, but he was with my mom. He helped me buy the tokens; paid the man; and took the seat where he could ring the bell the entire time. He waved at me the first couple of times around, but then he was too busy ringing his bell. It’s fun to watch him grow out of some of his fears.
Finally, Nicholas and I went out Christmas shopping today. We actually get to drive our car for the next week, so we got out of the house the first chance we could. Nicholas had been out of sorts for the last day or so, but it was nice to see he was getting back to his sweet self. We even went on a lunch date since he really wanted pancakes for lunch. I am so glad that Nicholas and I can do special things like that together.
Tomorrow I’m going to attempt something a bit challenging. I am going to make cookies from scratch with Nicholas. These won’t be for us to eat, so I’ll have to watch him with the batter. We don’t need any little fingers double dipping in the bowl. The challenging part is that these are new recipes for me, so we’ll be learning together. Nicholas is so willing to help now, so I know that he will enjoy it.
I am really enjoying this Christmas season with Nicholas. It's fun to see everything through his eyes.
1 comment:
Great memories being made here! yay!
Oh- and good luck keeping fingers out of the bowl- :) hahaha!!
Merry Christmas to you!
Post a Comment