Two 3 ½ year old boys on a play date can make for an interesting time.
Kristy and Chancho came over to visit us on Thursday. Nicholas was excited about having Chancho come over, but not too happy about sharing his toys. So, we took the boys on a walk to a park in our neighborhood. Nicholas had his first meltdown when Chancho wouldn’t hold his hand. “Mommy, he won’t hold my hand,” Nicholas cried. He didn’t give up and just found himself more upset as Chancho continued to resist his hand.
The walk to the park seemed extra long as the boys stopped to pick flowers, leaves, or just refuse to walk. We finally reached the park and they seemed to be doing better until Nicholas wouldn’t let Chancho climb down the ladder. Then they both tried to read the alphabet and the numbers on some of the equipment, both getting mad if the other one read what they were looking at.
Then Chancho found a small log and showed us how strong he was. Of course, Nicholas wanted a turn. Then they both wanted the log. Then they fought and argued.
Before we left the park we thought it would be nice to have a picture of them sitting next to each other on the log. Instead, pushing, hitting and girl-slapping occurred. I couldn’t get a nice picture if I wanted to, so I just took pictures of them fighting.
 |
| "He's taking the log, Mom!" |
 |
| "Now I've got it!" |
 |
| Trying to take a nice picture |
 |
| "Don't put your arm around me!" |
 |
| Nicholas trying again. |
 |
| Let the slapping begin! |
 |
| Back to fighting over the log |
The meltdowns continued as both boys didn’t want to walk all the way back home. Even though they seemed to despise each other’s company, I think they actually like each other. Chancho did ask if Nicholas could come over to his house. And, I know Nicholas was excited to see him again today on our field trip (more on that in the next blog).
All in all, it was nice to see that all moms of 3-year-olds have to deal with the same things. Thankfully, come October 21st, Kristy and I are packing up and leaving the kids at home!
1 comment:
I'm cracking up!!! You described our playdate perfectly!
Post a Comment