Monday, July 12, 2010

Weekend Wrap-up

Evan didn’t have to work this weekend, so we kept ourselves busy. Friday night we had pizza with Nana and Poppy. Nicholas was such a big boy and volunteered to go with Poppy to pick it up. We really try to encourage his willing and helpful spirit right now. There is going to come a day when these things aren’t so fun, so we’re hoping to not discourage him right now.

Saturday we got up early for the first showing of Toy Story 3. Nicholas was excited to go see the movie. I’m not sure if it is because he would see Buzz and Woody, or the popcorn we promised he could have. The movie experience did not really go as we expected. First, Nicholas handled it better than I thought he would. He was a little antsy and asked to go home with 45 minutes left, but overall, he was great. I think the problem was the low volume on the movie and the fact that lights were not turned down. We had a lot of commotion, so coupled with the low volume; we think we missed some of the jokes.

I had heard stories about how other people cried at the end of this movie. I told myself that I wasn’t going to be one of them. And, that’s when it hit me. I tried to keep it together, but the end was very touching. Evan may not admit it, but I think he was sniffling a little himself.

Afterwards, we went to take Nicholas’ picture in front of the movie poster. Unfortunately, we didn’t see the big hunk of gum on the ground right where we had Nicholas stand. I guess it is his little souvenir from the movie.


After naptime we headed to a graduation party for two of the kids from our church’s youth group. We were thankful that it wasn’t as hot out as it was all week. Nicholas was happy to see our worship pastor, Pastor Jim there. He loves him! If Nicholas sees him at church he takes off running and can’t be stopped until he gets a hug.

Speaking of church, we taught our class this week, so we were there for about four hours. Nicholas always comes to our class the second hour when we teach. I tell him that he’s our helper. All the other kids are around 2 years old. He does like it when we have him show the kids how to do something. He’s also great at answering questions.

We have some freedom this week! We have so much freedom that we don’t know what to do with it. We have a car for the week. Today we ventured out and ran some errands. It was nice to be able to go somewhere anytime we wanted. I want to take advantage of our freedom, so I’m trying to think of somewhere we can go every day, even if it is just driving around town.

Tomorrow I have Bible study in the morning, so my cousin, Jessica is coming to hang out with Nicholas. He’s really excited. I am too – to get out for a couple of hours alone!

No comments: