Sunday, March 28, 2010

Feelings

I mentioned before that our “schooling” was now going to consist of different topics each week. This past week was all about feelings. We just took out a bunch of books at the library where the characters were experiencing different emotions and talked about it.

After reading a book where the character was sad, I asked him a couple of questions. One was, “What makes you feel better when you are sad?” You would think a hug or a kiss might be the answer. Nope. “A lollipop.” We finally, with my sister’s help, figured out that answer. When he had a cough a few weeks ago, we gave him special lollipops for kids that are supposed to help with sore throats and coughs. So, he probably equated a lollipop with feeling better. Thankfully, by the end of the week, we got him to add hugs to the mix.

We also were very intentional this week about talking with him about how he is to respond when he is angry or frustrated. We’ve noticed just recently that he will throw a puzzle or toy down if he doesn’t like an instruction that we have given to him. So, we’ve worked on letting him know the responses that we would like to see.

Finally, we asked him to show us different emotions, and here is what we got:

Happy:



Surprised:



Mad:



Puzzled:



Nicholas is also continuing his Bible memorization. This week he started his third verse. It is a tough one – Proverbs 20:11: “Even a child is known by his actions, by whether his conduct is pure and right.” I wish I could take a picture of our amazed faces Thursday night when he started reciting some of it on his own. I almost scrapped this one the other day because I thought it was too difficult. So, way to go, Nicholas!

Well, this week is all about Easter. I'm sure there will be a lot of pictures to come.

1 comment:

Kristy K said...

Kristin, I think I missed this post because I read the nap one and didn't scroll down the other day. I love his expressions, especially the puzzled one. :) It was so good seeing you today!

Also, after we met, I ran a few errands and stopped at Party Station. Lo and behold, they had sticker albums!! I've been searching for those for weeks. And they were 75% off. Yippee!

See you next month!