Sunday, February 21, 2010

X

I was going to title my blog with three “X”s, as in “three strikes you’re out”, but I’m afraid it may have been misconstrued. Basically, as we get to the end of the alphabet my creativity level seems to have tanked. It’s not homeschool burnout, but alphabet burnout.

We did decorate our “X” to look like bones in an X-ray.





We also colored a picture of Telly with an X-ray (Are you noting the common theme?).



Finally, we made a “treasure hunt” for Nicholas. Basically, we made a map with “X” marking the spot. He had to follow the map to find the foam “X”. He actually loved this activity and played it by himself after we were done. Who knew my top-of-the-head idea would be such a hit?





In other news, Nicholas spent a couple of days this week enjoying some of his favorite things.

He enjoyed some ice cream as a special treat after Wednesday's Bible Study.





We also attended Elmo’s Birthday Party at Border’s this past weekend. Since Nicholas wants his own Elmo birthday party, I thought it would be fun to attend. It wasn’t quite what we expected. They did read three stories, have coloring for the kids, and a snack. While Nicholas didn’t seem to care about the stories, I do think the snack made the trip worth it for him. I do want everyone to know that he is finally sensing when his body is full. Tonight at dinner, he announced he was full without cleaning his plate. This is progress.





Back to the topic of Nicholas’ birthday . . . This week he learned that his birthday is March 9th (although he leaves off the “th”) and he is telling everyone. He is so excited about his birthday. Today at church he told a woman how he is going to be three, wants balloons, and to blow out his candles. Right now we have at least three occasions planned where he will be having cake (or some kind of dessert). He’s going to think every day is his birthday.

This week I noticed that he is on a great quest for knowledge. He must ask me several times a day, “What’s this?” When I tell him, he seems to be storing it in his memory bank. Sometimes it seems like he is quizzing me to see if I know it though. When it is something I know he knows, I turn the tables and ask him. He seems happy to answer. I guess he's just prepping us for all those future "Why?" questions.

He also is saying, “you’re welcome” and “excuse me” on his own more often. The other day he wanted to get to his toys, but had to walk by me. He said, “Excuse me, Mommy.” We’ve also learned about saying sorry when we do something that wasn’t on purpose. He’ll say, “Sorry, Mommy. It accident.” It’s really cute to hear.

Finally, he is really into copying the things we do. This can sometimes be eye-opening, but other times pretty funny. Tonight he thought it would be fun to pretend and blow my nose for me. Then he looked at it and said, “Gross.” We were just pretending, but I guess he wanted to get the full effect.

Well, we have a pretty busy week ahead of us. Yahoo for Y (Note the sarcasm)!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too cute! Glad to see your house has also been sucked into Elmo-mania! Caroline loves Elmo, we're having an Elmo birthday party, she is excited! We are excited for Nicholas to turn 3 and celebrate his birthday!