Nicholas has been saying some pretty cute things lately. For instance, in Sunday school Nicholas learned to thank Jesus for his food. Sometimes he will thank Jesus for other things too. Well, we were on the elevator at the mall yesterday when my sister was telling Nicholas about Christmas. She was trying to simplify it by telling him it was Jesus’ birthday and Jesus loves us so much that we get presents on his birthday. So, when the doors opened Nicholas exclaimed to all the people waiting, “Thank you, Jesus!” The way he said it must have made the people think it was one crazy elevator ride.
Nicholas’ Sunday school class has also been giving an offering every week to help with Operation Christmas Child. Nicholas knows that he gets to put his money in each week. Well, we were at the grocery store today when Nicholas was getting a little antsy at the checkout line. I told him that we still had to give the lady our money. He said “Jesus!” So, money is now associated with Jesus.
Finally, I was putting Nicholas into his car seat when he started squirming around. I told him that he needs to listen to his mommy. It makes Jesus happy when Nicholas obeys his mommy and daddy. Nicholas replied, “Jesus. Cross”. I told him, “You’re right. The cross reminds us that Jesus loves us.” Nicholas then exclaimed, “Thank you, Jesus!”
All of this just shows me that we have to be careful what we say and what our children see. Sometimes it is easy to put on a television show that we want to see because Nicholas isn’t really watching, right? Or maybe we have a conversation that is better said after he is in his bed for the night. I’m just really learning that I want to be intentional about what Nicholas sees and hears. I’m happy that Jesus is becoming an important part of his life, even if he doesn’t fully understand everything yet.
Well, we’ll be spending the morning cleaning for our afternoon visit with the social worker. It will be nice to have one post-placement report under our belt. We’ll see her again every May until 2012 though. And, when all the reports are done, I’m sure we’ll all be saying, “Thank you, Jesus!”
Kristin
No comments:
Post a Comment