Wednesday, October 14, 2009

My Deepest Desire

Someone asked me today how long Nicholas has been home. Has it really been only over 3 months? I’ve had two separate conversations about this in the last couple of days. Sometimes it seems like Nicholas has been home much longer. I also look at how far he’s come and can’t believe he’s accomplished so much in three months! Another adoptive mom told me that she was impressed by how well he is attaching to me and those close to him. She also said that he was doing very well in his language skills.

One thing he also does well is use a fork and a spoon. It was something he was taught at a young age. But, he’s still two years old, so I had to grab my camera after seeing his face after breakfast this morning. It looks like more yogurt ended up on his face than in his mouth.





He also did well at his class this morning at church. I found out that they take them to the gym for a little bit, which is great for Nicholas. He loves to run around and it also tires him out for his afternoon nap (everyone wins!). My Bible study was really good this morning too. We talked about prayer and it really caused me to take a look at my own requests. Do I get mad at God when I don’t feel like he is giving me the answer I want? Do I expect God’s best or do I just want what I want?

One question that was posed to us is this: “What are some of the reasons why earthly parents don’t always give everything their children ask for?” Maybe it isn’t good for the child. Maybe the timing isn’t right. Maybe the parents know there is something better for their children. Maybe they are protecting their children. There are a number of reasons. Do we ever apply any of these things to our prayer requests to God?

There are a couple of things I have really been praying about lately and I’ve been feeling like God isn’t listening. After today, I have a different perspective. Maybe what I want right now isn’t what’s best for me at this time. Maybe if I wait a little longer, God’s got something even better, something I haven’t even imagined. It happened that way with Nicholas. He was a part of God’s plan. What would have happened if he allowed me to get pregnant right away? Who knows if adoption would have been a part of our lives then?

God wants something great for each of us. He’s our Father and loves us more than we can imagine. He’s not a genie in a bottle. Instead, he knows each of His children better than we know ourselves. He knows what we need. And, one thing that we will always need is Him. My goal right now is to get that idea burned in my mind. I want to want God more than any of my other wants or desires. It’s not easy, but it is what I am striving for.

That’s just what I’ve gleaned from today’s study. Wednesday’s are always such a great day. I’m going to leave you with a picture from earlier today. We usually go to the mall food court after Bible study each week. After we ate, we headed to the store and Nicholas had a good time entertaining himself with the stickers off the shirts we were buying (Ignore the fist in his mouth. His molars are coming in so his gums are bothering him). The cashier at the register told us that he was “cute” and “definitely a keeper.” We agree.



Kristin

1 comment:

Kristy K said...

I really need this right now Kristin! Great post!