Thursday, May 23, 2013

Back-to-Back

I never intended for this to happen, but both boys had their wellness checks on the same day.  Then, they both had eye exams the next day.  Getting them done on the same day is nice in theory.  But, it means it takes a lot longer.  Waiting and children don’t often go hand-in-hand.

Both boys are healthy though, which is good.  Nicholas did try to fool the nurse during his hearing test and act like he didn't hear any of the beeps in his ear.  Thankfully, the nurse was well-skilled with children and could see him look at me every time it beeped.  I wasn't really worried, since this is a kid that can hear Evan and I whisper all the way downstairs when he’s in his room. 

Daniel had a couple of shots to get and a finger prick which put a damper on his morning.  She said that a lot of his development is at the 15-month mark.  I told her he’s just trying to keep up with Nicholas.

The best thing about the appointment yesterday was that Daniel was so wiped out that he had a 2-hour nap!  He seems back to his old self now.  We missed his cheerful disposition.

Today’s eye appointments went well – physically, but it felt like we were there forever.  Nicholas was as inquisitive and sociable as ever.  And, Daniel just wanted to get down and walk.  Our eye doctor is a dad with young kids and is really good with his patients.  He answered all of Nicholas’ questions and even told me that Nicholas is “precocious”.  Daniel let the doctor examine him too.  The reason I took Daniel in is that at times I thought it looked as if he had a lazy eye.  It turns out that his eyes are great and that it is probably because he is tired or just a developmental thing that clears up on his own.  I just have to keep an eye on it (ha ha – an unintended pun). 

So, Daniel’s eyes look great and Nicholas has no change in his prescription.  We had a very successful week.  And, it also made me thankful for excellent medical insurance and benefits.  Today’s visit would have cost us almost $300 if we did not have vision insurance.  My total check today was $20.  You can’t be that! 


I feel like we’re getting everything out of the way and ready for summer break.  I should have a special post coming up about the end of this school year.

Hanging out earlier in the week when Daniel didn't feel well.

No comments: