Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Almost

  • Last night it almost took an hour to bake this new quiche recipe that should have taken only 30 minutes. I think the inevitable is happening and our oven is starting to die. It is the house’s original model, so I shouldn’t be surprised. Even if it was a fluke, I still think it is time to invest in a new one. We want to move in the next year or two, so this will help the marketability of our house.

 
  • Evan almost had to be on-call for Christmas this year. Last week his company was taking volunteers for the three major holidays (including Christmas Eve) coming up. If they did not receive enough volunteers, then they would choose someone. Evan had this feeling that they would choose him for Christmas – and they did. He got a phone call from his boss today telling him the news. He was just about to call and tell me when his boss called him back. Since Evan has off the 24th and the 26th, they can’t make him work the 25th! Thank goodness for vacation days! So, we dodged that one this year. I can’t imagine what it would be like to celebrate Christmas wondering if Evan would have to leave at any time because of an “emergency”.

 
  • Nicholas almost jumped off the diving board today at swimming by himself. He did have the lifeguard drop him in once, but after that he was on his own. He would climb up the stairs so fast and get to almost the end of the board, then freeze. We would all yell and encourage him and then he would start to take those steps back. At one point, it felt like he was just standing there forever. While he didn’t jump this time, I have a feeling he’ll find his courage in the next few weeks. I did ask him on the way home why he didn’t jump. I expected him to say that he was afraid. Instead, he replied, “Because you guys kept yelling.” I told him that we were trying to encourage him. He told me, “You should have just been quiet.” So from now on, I guess everyone in the pool area should remain silent. We’ll reserve our clapping for when he actually jumps.

 

Last lesson of the year
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
Thinking about jumping in
 
 

    He did it!




    Just dropping in


    He stood at this point for a long time.  We'll try again next year!

  • Finally, I almost put a really cool blog post up yesterday, but I will wait a few days to do so. It’s really interesting, so stay tuned. 

No comments: