We’re slowly getting used to Evan’s new schedule. It’s still strange and makes me get my days confused, but Nicholas spends more hours in the week with his dad now, so it has been good in that way. Today we took Evan to play group with us since it was at the splash pad. Very few people showed up because of the iffy weather we were having, but it ended up being nice enough for Nicholas to play. I purposely whipped out my camera today just so I could update the blog.
My birthday is in 3 days! I’m spending the day with my mom and sister. Nicholas will have another Saturday with Poppy (they were together last Saturday while I was at a bridal shower). I think everyone will have a good day, although some of us may be more tired than others by the end of it.
Nicholas has been doing or saying some cute things lately. I tried to write down some of them. Here is a couple:
*** Rest time happens at our house every afternoon. Nicholas gets to play up in his room by himself and I get to “rest”. I think we both enjoy our time apart. I like to keep the monitor on during that time for a couple of reasons. First, he’s alone in his room with the door shut. I like to have an idea of what he is doing. Second, I love to listen to him play. He is getting so creative. He put a smile on my face Tuesday afternoon when I heard him start singing. I soon realized that it was a song that Evan and I had taught our class on Sundays. He had the words down perfectly.
***Nicholas and I were talking about people from church earlier in the week. I asked him about one of his teacher’s daughters and if she was nice. He said, “Yes.” Then he shocked me by saying, “I’m going to marry her someday.”
Marry her someday!” I exclaimed. “She’s a little old for you. Isn’t she seven or eight?”
“Yes, but I’m going to marry her someday.” His next statement shocked me as well. “She’s the perfect woman.”
Who teaches him this stuff?
Our adoption fundraising has been going . . . okay. It is such a hard thing to do – to put yourself out there. It’s also hard when adoption is not someone else’s passion or not something everyone supports. I am so thankful for the people that have supported us. There have been so many generous people!!! Some of the people that have helped us financially are people that I never would have expected. We feel so blessed.
I think the question that some people have thought is: “Should you adopt if you don’t have the money to pay for the expenses?” Yes! There are so many children waiting around the world (and in our own country for families). There are women that will not be able to parent their unborn child for whatever reason. If you are called to adopt, then there should be no barriers put in your way. If the world waited for everyone to save up all the money for expenses, there would be even more children waiting.
Too many people say they would like to adopt, but most will not. You may look at us and think that just because we haven’t been able to get pregnant that’s why adoption is so important to us. Not anymore. My heart was softened to adoption over time, but my heart broke for adoption during Nicholas’ adoption. We stood on the playground at his baby home and saw all the little children in his group that had no mom or dad of their own. There is one little girl named Vika that I will never forget. She had big brown eyes and she wanted me to hold her whenever I saw her. I wonder if she has parents today.
The domestic adoption process has given birthmothers a face. After hearing some of their backgrounds my heart breaks for them. They are real people. And, the ones that place their babies for adoption make such a difficult decision. I can’t even fathom it.
While adoption can be hard and trying and take you out of your comfort zone, it can also stretch your heart and change your life in positive ways. I think we, me included, get too comfortable in our lives. We don’t want to be taken out of our comfort zone for anything. But, if you are feeling called to adopt, don’t ignore it, but explore it. If we had said “no” to God and went to the next stage of infertility treatments, we would not have Nicholas. I cannot even imagine our lives without him.
If adoption is something you support and you want to help us bring a child into our family, then here are the three ways you can help again:
1. Our puzzle fundraiser: Sponsor a puzzle piece for $10. We will write your name on the back of the piece so our child can know who helped bring him/her home.
2. Ordinary Hero: This online store has some great t-shirts and jewelry. We receive 40% of the proceeds toward our adoption expenses. Please put my name in the affiliate drop-down box, so we receive credit. They have some new kids’ shirts, woman’s shirt, and jewelry. You can also donate food and clothing to children in Africa.
3. Lifesong: Lifesong for Orphans is a non-profit organization that has opened a tax-deductible account for our adoption expenses. You can send your donations to:
Lifesong for Orphans
PO Box 40 / 202 N. Ford Street
Gridley, IL 61744
Please put your donation preference in the memo line of the check – Preference: Morgan #2013. This is very important so the money is earmarked for our adoption. They would like your donations sent in by July 6th!
Well, that’s what’s on my mind. There’s a 99% chance that I will have new camera with a faster shutter speed in my future, so I should have more pictures coming soon. That’s the good thing about birthdays!
No comments:
Post a Comment