Thursday, October 22, 2009

Nightmare on My Street

This week we have been going through a lot of transitions and entering new frontiers. First, Nicholas has been having nightmares. They started earlier in the week. He must have been in a light sleep when he heard a train whistle in the distance. He began to cry out for us. We would calm him down and head back to our room and start to fall asleep when the train would blow its whistle and he would cry out again. He thinks all trains are Thomas and real trains scare him to death.

Before we put him to bed each night, he questions us about Thomas and we have to tell him that he his far away and will not hurt him. Two nights ago we were nightmare-free, but last night he was up again. Thankfully, he was easier to calm down than the first time.

On top of the nightmares, he finally got the courage to climb out of his crib. I actually saw him lift his leg over and ran to get my camera (I’m trying to do better at documenting everything). By the time I was back, he was out. So, like the good mother I am, I made him reenact it. Then, I decided to just convert the crib into a bed and move onto the next stage. I didn’t want him to fall out in the middle of the night trying to get away from Thomas.





Then, we had our first battle over staying in the new bed at naptime and thankfully, I won. It took 55 minutes, but he took an hour and twenty minute nap in his new bed. I am thanking “Supernanny” for her advice because it actually worked. I couldn’t believe I was able to stick to my guns, but I knew it is important for Nicholas to learn to obey. At bedtime, the battle wasn't as bad, but there still was one. I'm hoping each time gets easier. Hopefully, he'll stay in his bed until morning.

On a happier note, Nicholas did enjoy his first Harvest Party last night. He looked cute as a farmer. We couldn’t get him to take off the bandana after we left. He played a lot of the games and had some cookies. However, his favorite game was putting candy in his Elmo Bucket. After each game the kids played, they received 3 pieces of candy. In the toddler room this wasn’t monitored as heavily. Let’s just say he did very well in the candy department.









Now we're just finishing out our “G” week. Nicholas has been practicing the letters in the alphabet that he knows so far. One of these days, I’ll try to get him on video.

Kristin

1 comment:

Kristy K said...

I've always thought Thomas was FREAKY! None of my kids have liked him.

And Nicholas does look like a cute farmer!!