Sunday, October 25, 2009

"G" is for GO TO BED!

“G” Week is over. It wasn’t my best effort. I just had a lot on my mind and it kind of took a backseat. I plan on doing much better this week.

We did decorate the “G” with green pom poms. I wasn’t about to get into glitter and I stayed away from my gum drop idea, since he was having enough sugar this week.





We also colored a giraffe (In the second picture he is coloring the giraffe's mouth, so he stuck out his tongue).





Finally, we had a somewhat green lunch. I was going to make green eggs, but opted for a non-green sandwich instead. He did have pear yogurt, peas, and green grapes. You may notice that his spoon and bib are green, as well as his milk cup and some of his napkin. I tried.



His Sunday school class at church has a mat with letters and numbers on it. Each week I try and test him and he does pretty well. I guess I shouldn’t be too hard on myself since he did recognize the letter “G” this morning.

The big boy bed is still a bit of a challenge. Sometimes he takes a couple of minutes to stay in bed and other times closer to 20 minutes. My “favorite” times are when it seems like he goes down easily and then 10 minutes later he is calling my name. He does sleep through the night though so I can’t complain too much.

He is waking up earlier and not falling back to sleep. He isn’t allowed out of his room too early. I’m teaching him self-control and self-discipline by waiting until Mommy comes and gets him. Call me mean, but early in the morning I need a little time for myself. Before 7:00 is my time.

The nightmares seem to have stopped for now though. We started keeping a lamp and music on in his room, which seems to help him relax a little bit better. I have to turn the music off when we go to bed though because it comes through the monitor. As much as I like some of his songs, I don’t want to hear them while I am trying to fall asleep. I do have to turn it on at 6:15 in the morning though, or Nicholas is not as compliant when it comes to staying in his room.

I’ve learned that as hard as all of this is right now, it takes patience, perseverance, and consistency. At times I want to rip my hair out, but he’s getting it, so I know in the end, he is learning to listen and obey. In the meantime, I’m tired. An early bedtime is probably in order.



Kristin

No comments: