Sunday, June 5, 2011

Roller Coasters and Monster Trucks

We spent today at Ced@r Point, an amusement park near our home. Evan’s company paid for employees and their families to go.  This included lunch as well. It was nice to have Nicholas’ first visit free since we didn’t know how he’d like the rides. He did really well. In fact, as I write this, Evan and I are exhausted and Nicholas begrudgingly went to bed – still full of energy. It shocked us all when he talked the entire way home, instead of falling asleep in his car seat.

We spent the morning riding kid-friendly rides with Nicholas while Evan went off with some people from work. My sister kindly came along to help me and in case I wanted to ride any of the grown-up rides. I am so glad she offered. It would have been a long, lonely day without her.

Nicholas started out the day with the carousel. This was probably his least favorite ride of the day. He had my sister hold him tight, requesting that she hold him with both hands. I think I saw a brief smile or two out of him, but he later told us that he did not like the ride with the horsies.





We walked almost the entire park looking for the kids’ rides. It felt good to get exercise and we were able to see all the rides. Nicholas found one of his favorite rides – riding the bumper boats. I think he rode it three times today. He was so brave and grown up doing it all by himself.




His other favorite ride of the day was driving the monster trucks, which he was just a hair too short to ride alone, so I (and later Evan) rode along with him.





We caught up with Evan for lunch and he pretty much stayed with us for the rest of the day. Evan and I snuck away to ride the Gemini while Nicholas went on the boats again. There was no wait and I kind of enjoyed my only ride of the day. It was a little bumpier than I remembered. Evan and I had last gone 11 years ago, right before we started dating. Evan especially felt the difference of being a decade older today.

While Nicholas, Amy and I were off on our own we had watched the T*p Thrill Dr@gster several times.  This ride goes from 0 to 120 mph very quickly.  It made Amy and I nervous just watching it and it scared Nicholas.  When Evan joined us, Nicholas told Evan that he was not allowed to ride that scary ride.  He was adamant about it.  Luckily, Evan was able to sneak away later to ride it.  He amazingly got right on because they just needed one rider.  I guess it was an awesome ride - all 17 seconds of it!  It will take a lot to ever get me on it, but I'm glad Evan got the chance.

One thing I was impressed with was Nicholas' lack of fear when it came to the people in costumes.  He ran up to a couple of them and gave them hugs.  This wouldn't have happened a year or two ago. 













It was a rather fun and inexpensive day. I enjoyed the fact that both Evan and Nicholas had so much fun. I’m hoping that we’re not all so tired that it is hard to fall asleep. Evan has tomorrow off so at least we can all try and sleep in.

Here are some more pictures from our day:




 

Getting on the train all by himself
 

He noticed that his daddy had just showed up.
 
 





 

This ride had some crazy turns that even Evan wasn't expecting.
 
 


My guys
  
 
 











No comments: