There has been a real adjustment happening at our house as of late. I’d love to say that it’s been easy, but it’s so strange that none of us truly knows what to think about it. Evan’s company changed most of the technicians’ schedules starting last week. Instead of working five days a week, he’ll be working four. Unfortunately, one of those days will always be Saturday. We do have him home two days in the middle of the week, as well as Sunday.
It’s just weird though. Nicholas and I had a routine going and now Evan has to integrate into our routine. We love having him home, but it is so strange to see him at all three meals during the middle of the week. It used to be that we just had breakfast together during the weekdays. The trade-off is that the four days that Evan does work are not 10-hour days; they are more like 14-hour days. So, when he is at work, there is little time for anything else those days.
We’re not sure whether or not his company will keep this schedule. It sounds like many of his co-workers are not too thrilled about the new schedules. Some have kids in activities on Saturdays. Others have spouses that work schedules that will make it harder to see each other now. We’re fortunate that we can work around it – for now. This is only the second week, so we’re going to see how we like it once it becomes familiar.
In the meantime, Evan has been able to make appointments with ease. He used to have to take time off of work if a doctor didn’t have Saturday hours. I’m also able to work around his schedule, so I don’t have to rely on my mom to always watch Nicholas if I need to make an appointment as well. We can also meet people for dinner during the week.
In other news, Nicholas and I are having a good week so far. Yesterday we went to our library to see an animal show. We spotted some people from our church there, so Nicholas sat with a little girl from his Sunday school class. Every time the man asked for volunteers, Nicholas raised his hand high. Sadly, he was never chosen. I would have loved to see if he was brave enough to actually touch the animals. There was even an alligator and a very large yellow snake that Nicholas thought were very cool.
We also signed Nicholas up for the summer reading program. He will have a chance to earn prizes and get a free book if he makes it to the end of the chart. We read a lot here, so that shouldn't be a problem. I was excited that he was old enough to participate.
Today is a low-key kind of day. I'm just doing some laundry and taking it easy. Evan got home at 11:00 last night and got up before six, so I'm kind of tired. We did head out to the store real quick this morning, just to get out and to get a certain someone a Father's Day card. Nicholas is becoming an old pro at signing his name.
We haven't heard anything about the birthmother seeing our profile yet. We'll let you know if we hear anything. Like I said before, we're okay either way. We are waiting for the baby that God has for us.
So, off to my laundry I go . . .

No comments:
Post a Comment