Sunday, June 26, 2011

Birthday Weekend

I used to make a big deal about my birthday for years. I’d countdown every month. I don’t really do that so much anymore. It’s not that I don’t like that I’m getting older. That doesn’t bother me. I still like people to care that it is my birthday, but that’s the extent of it. Looking at the calendar, I couldn’t believe that it was already June 25th.


I’m pretty low-maintenance when it comes to gifts. You won’t find me asking for anything expensive – at least from my husband. I never want anyone to think that Evan is a bad gift giver. He would probably by me jewelry or electronics, but he knows that I don’t want him to buy those things. He ended up giving me my gift today (so he and Nicholas could both be there) and he did a good job and got me exactly what I wanted.

So, here’s the recap . . . My birthday started out pretty well. Evan ran out and got me breakfast. Nicholas was sleeping, so he didn’t know. So, shhh! He leaves for work by 6:20 in the morning, so we got to spend a few brief moments together. I didn’t really want to get up that early, but I’m not good at just lying in bed and trying to fall back to sleep.

Then later that morning Nicholas and I headed over to my parents’ house. Nicholas was going to spend the day with my dad and I was going to lunch and shopping with my mom and sister. Lunch was good. But, the rest of the day was quite humorous looking back. For those that don’t know, I’m not much of a shopper. I have to be led around like a little dog, so it’s not really fun for most people to shop with me. My mom and sister are used to it though. We ended up shopping for some clothes since we have another bridal shower and a wedding later this summer. My mom and sister coaxed me to try on several dresses at multiple stores. I ended up finding a couple I actually liked. Then they managed to unclench my fist enough so that I could use some of my birthday money to buy a couple things for myself. If you read my financial series, you know I’d rather hoard it in my wallet. My mom and sister thought they were being helpful by making me spend this money though.

After a tiring day (shopping drains me), but fun day we headed back to their house. My dad and Nicholas were outside weeding. They had a fun day too, but I think Nicholas kept my dad busy. I caught him nodding off later that day.


My grandma came and joined us for dinner too. We had Chinese. We missed Evan there since he was working, but I managed to tease him by sending him picture messages. Then we had brownies and ice cream. I’m not a big fan of cake.






Poppy and Nicholas



Nana and Nicholas washing dishes



A little blurry, but you get the gist






Nicholas and GG




I literally came home, put Nicholas to bed and crashed on the couch.  Evan ended up not working too late, so I was able to spend some time with him too. I also made sure to bring him home some leftovers, so he could enjoy some of my birthday dinner and dessert.

This morning we ended up subbing for the teachers at the first service. We had a relatively small class this week, but the time went by pretty fast. We like to put on some music and a small dance party ensued. I wish I would have taken video when it first started, but I caught the tail end of it.







Then we walked in our town’s parade with our church. Nicholas walked the entire way! We passed out candy and freeze pops. It was a nice way to get the word out about our church and walk off some extra calories from the weekend.



Hanging out before the parade




Here we go . . .




Walking down the very long street



No stopping at Dunkin Donuts, guys!



Nicholas says to Smokey, "Why are you wearing that?"



Now we’re all going to crash and burn – well, Evan and I will rest. Nicholas seems to still be going strong!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Happy birthday!!! :)