The next stop wasn't one he was looking forward to making. When he had his check-up in March, his pediatrician told us to call this summer to have his vaccinations boosted. He was behind on his vaccinations because Russia did not give him all that are given here in the U.S.
I made the appointment last week. As I was talking to the woman on the phone, Nicholas was heard in the background yelling, "I don't want any shots!" Since that phone call, I had deliberately spoken to him and prayed with him about his fears. He told me over and over that he was going to scream though.
He decided this morning that he would take his bear, Misha with him to the appointment for moral support. In fact, he almost had me fooled by how confident and brave he was acting as we sat in the doctor's waiting room. His confidence did not waver as his name was called and we were walked to the exam room. But, once he faced reality, his true feelings came out.
Thankfully, Evan was off work today so he could be there with us because he had to hold Nicholas down on the table. I suggested that Nicholas squeeze Misha. But, nothing could calm his fears. He did scream. He screamed loud and high pitched and mostly in my ear.
Once the nurse left the room, he just cried in my arms. It was heartbreaking. But, after we dried his tears, we were off to lunch. We had promised him lunch and a milkshake after his shots. His demeanor changed and our happy, little guy came back.
We gave him some medicine and he is happily playing in his room. When he got his shots in March, he was so sore he could barely walk. Hopefully, this time won't be as bad.

No comments:
Post a Comment