Monday, August 15, 2011

Curriculum 2011-12


I finally have it all ordered and am ready for the new school year. However, we still have another three weeks. We don’t start until after Labor Day. While Nicholas is officially in Pre-Kindergarten, we are using curriculum based on his skill level not a grade in school. Some areas he is still on preschool level and others he is on a kindergarten level. We won’t be doing all the subjects every day, but once or twice a week.

Bible: He will be learning two Bible verses a month. We will continue to have our morning devotions.



Math: 101 Things Every Kindergartner Should Know About Math.

There is a lot of good math curriculum out there. We probably won’t dive into that until next year. This is the same company that made the workbook he used last year. He really liked it, so we’re just going to continue with it this year.



Phonics/Spelling: 101 Things Every Kindergartner Should Know About Phonics.

I picked this one up at a certain store’s Going Out of Business Sale. I figure it will just be a good reinforcement for our main curriculum.



All About Spelling Level 1.

This is a spelling/phonics program all in one. We will be moving at a slow pace. But, this program has gotten rave reviews.



Handwriting: A Reason For Handwriting – K.

Nicholas loves to write his letters, so I felt like he was ready to start this curriculum.



Social Studies: My own curriculum. I call it “All around Town”.

Each month we will focus on a different place in town and that will be the theme for the month. The first location(s) will be the Police and Fire Stations. We will be learning about safety all month.



Art: He will have some guided crafts, but also one or two crafts a month where I just give him the supplies and let him be creative.



Computer: We will be using different educational websites once a week.



Cooking: Once a month, we will be making something in the kitchen together. Sometimes it will follow a theme with what he is learning. Other times, it will just be for fun. It’s also a fun way to learn about measurements and following directions.



Nicholas will also be attending a story time once a week. We will probably sign him up for another round of swimming lessons as well. There are one or two other things I am looking into too.  Couple that with his time spent at church, and he will a pretty busy guy. I’m really excited about this school year. Evan will home two of the days during the week, so I may even hand a subject over to him to teach.

Once the remainder of my curriculum arrives, I’ll put it in my planner and we’ll be ready to go! I’m looking forward to seeing how much Nicholas learns and grows this year.

No comments: