Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Our Financial Goals

I think it is good each year (or more frequently) to make a list of your financial goals. Evan and I sat down and talked about what we want to do this year.

1. Pay off the car (Like I said, this should happen in the next couple of months).

2. Save up 3-6 months of expenses in our emergency fund.

3. We are eligible for Evan’s 401K now at work. We want to begin contributing to this once our car is paid off.

4. Begin saving for another car.

5. Save for home improvement expenses.


We also have two goals that seem too big for us. We have to trust God for all of our finances. However, these are ones where I’m most excited to see Him work (because these are two areas where I can tend to struggle with worry the most).

1. Fully-funded second adoption

2. To be able to move in a bigger house (more than 2 bedrooms) in the next year or two.



By making goals each year, it allows you to see how well you did financially the year before and what you can do differently this year. It opens up communication between spouses. It can also be fun to cross items off your list. Don’t be rigid though (this one is for me). It is okay not to meet all your goals. Life happens. There may be road blocks. And, sometimes your values change. Just make them reasonable.

What are some of your financial goals?


Finally, our last post will be about me and my money issues. Just because you can save money doesn’t mean you have a healthy relationship with money.

 
 
If you missed it . . . Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm loving this series! We took "Financial Peace" classes at church last year and have been working to pay off the car (by the end of the year or sooner (2 years early)) next we will tackle the school loan and after that all the debt we have left will be the house :) We got rid of the majority of our credit cards (we just kept Banana Republic and Kohl's) Thanks for sharing!
~Nicole